mtbr member
    Nov 2005

xx disc brake bleed.....help

I had to replace the rear brake line on my xx brake since I got a new frame and the hose routing was different. I did this then gave the brake a bleed. First time I have bled a disc brake but I think I am somewhat mechanically inclined and can read directions but I know how tricky this procedure can be sometimes. Anyway, finished with the bleed and put new pads in. Put wheel back in frame then centered the caliper on the rotor and tightened. I lightly squeeze the lever till it engages the rotor. Brake action seems to feel good and strong when I pull hard on the lever. The only problem is that the rotor is rubbing a fair amount. I know they are new pads but they should not be stopping the wheel after 3-4 revolutions. HELP. What should I do next? Bleed again? I took the pads out and pushed the pistons back in with a box end wrench and tried again but it is the same thing. I have read on the forum about centering the pistons but I am not sure how to do this or what this means. Do you think there is too much oil in the system? ANY HELP would be great. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A lot of people have expressed difficulty in bleeding these brakes. I have been lucky I guess, the first question would be is it centered properly. Avid brakes are SOMETIMES more difficult to center properly because they center on two axis, distance side to side and top to bottom (This is the best way I could think of describing it). If they are in fact centered properly, then maybe there is too much fluid, but that would only be possible if you bleed them without the without the proper spacing (pistons pushed in all the way. Meaning you either left pads in and did not put the plastic pad spacer in there (this is still not the best way, but at least it is something) or you took the pads out and did not put the plastic piston spacer in took keep them spread out. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pads were removed and spacer block was placed in caliper. I am not really sure it is a centering issue since I can move the caliper all around and not find a place where the rotor will not rub the pads. Its almost if the non drive side caliper is pushing too far towards the rotor and not retracting. I tried a couple of times to push the pistons back in and center but as soon as I pull the lever a couple of times the pads stay tight. Who knows, maybe I will try to let some fluid out then try or just bleed again

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You answered your own question. Sticky pistons. This is known issue for Avids with a few people on this forum. Again I have been fortunate with my set, but have heard of the problem. I am unsure if there is a user rebuild kit available or if they are rebuildable. Search the forums and maybe someone can help for the sticky piston. This just happened to a friend of mine, so I will look for more responses also.