Thread: XTR or XT

mtbr member

XTR or XT

i was looking on shimano's web site, and I am looking at either xtr or xt hydraulic. the caliper on the xtr is 2g lighter then the xt's but the xt levers are quite a bit lighter and offer better adjustment. any input?
    S-Works all the bikes!
    Just another used cat for sale

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I have both, and to me I think they got the weight wrong in the site, maybe is the other way around. The XT lever is more bulky. I like the XTR looks more, but the adjustability and pad clearance on the XT..... I like more my XT's.....

Kosher Princess
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS
    the xtr is 2g lighter then the xt's
    Poo Poo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FM
    luxatio erecta
    keep an eye on chainlove.com

I picked up some XTR M975 levers last weekend for $115
    They often cycle there deals so I woudn't be surprised to see them for sale there again soon.

Haven't decided if I will hook them to my old m755 4-pots or some newer 2-piston shimano calipers (any thoughts?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    keep an eye on chainlove.com

I picked up some XTR M975 levers last weekend for $115
    They often cycle there deals so I woudn't be surprised to see them for sale there again soon.

Haven't decided if I will hook them to my old m755 4-pots or some newer 2-piston shimano calipers (any thoughts?)
    Hey FM,

I take it you use Shimano brakes. What's your take on them? I am building a Spot and was considering moving the Formula K24 from the DH bike or picking up a new set of brakes for not huge amounts of money (it's supposed to be a budget build). My wife has been using Shimano LX brakes on her rides and she doesn't complain. Setting them up was as easy as it gets: I never bled a brake more easily.

How is the performance? Any model in particular I should be looking for?

Thanks!

PS: I apologize for the slight thread derailment ...

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Hey FM,

I take it you use Shimano brakes. What's your take on them?
    PS: I apologize for the slight thread derailment ...
    Shimano is all I've ever known, which is a pretty strong endorsement. I have two sets of M755 4-pot brakes and the older set is like 7 years old- I was the first in my riding group to go disc and those same brakes are still going strong!
    • Mineral oil is rad! Cleans up easy, nice to the environment, and doesn't seem to break down like DOT fluid.
    • The shimanos are super easy to bleed. I made a bleed kit for mine out of syringes, bleeding takes 5-10 minues with a syringe, but in a pinch you can bleed without any tools.
    • Shimano levers and small parts are easy to find, at resorts, on eBay, at LBS. This is one of the biggest benefits IMHO- If I trash my levers in a crash, I can pick up a new set with cables for $100 on eBay.
    • Shimano levers bend in an impact, but the lever bodies& pivots are really tough. I've bent my levers and bent them back many times, where my friends with juicy's found that the lever bodies would crack before the lever would bend- requiring replacement and a full bleed.
    • You can mix & match all shimano hydraulic stuff (i.e. new XTR with 7yr old XT)

The only things I don't like:
    • My old 4-pots use IS mount- 203mm IS adaptors are hard to find & expensive. Also, the shims are a PIA. But, all the newer shimano brakes are post mount

I actually considered replacing them with Elexirs or Formulas, but the more I thought about how much I like the shimanos, I decided to stick with them for brakes. Kinda funny since I generally dislike the big S.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    I agree with FM. I also have a set of 4 pot's since summer 2002, no problems till this day, and I mean no problems.... Bled them when new, re-bled them maybe 2 years ago and that's it. The only minor complaint is pad clearance, but as long as you set them up correctly, and keep rotors true, is no big deal. I have used Hayes, Avid Juicy 7, and I would not change them for the Xt's. My main bike currently has the latest XT's and these are the best Shimanos yet, to me even better than XTR as the pad clearance is perfect, truly a set and forget brake, one year zero problems.

FM if you feel the urge to upgrade, then move to the new XT's or XTR calipers, for me the big improvement is post mounts. As for pad clearance, I think what makes the new XT have more of it, is the servo wave action in the levers thou I have not tried to interchange the caliper, say put the XTR caliper with the XT lever. I was thinking i selling my 4 pots, but not sure yet....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've been happy with my 965 XTR calipers except for the fact that the pistons tend to bias towards the inside (on my bike at least) and adjusting them with the shims is a PITA. I wish I had bought the XT calipers but not enought to actually bother to change. Ride on!

Uncle

Lever weights: 775 vs 975

According to shimano.com, the XT 775 levers weigh 128g, while the XTR 975 levers weigh 192g

Is it safe to guess that the XT levers are sold individually, while the XTRs are sold as a set? This is the only reason I can come up with that explains the odd discrepancy. Can anyone attest to the flyweightitude of the XTR levers?
    Thanks.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 105millimetersofpleasure
    According to shimano.com, the XT 775 levers weigh 128g, while the XTR 975 levers weigh 192g

Is it safe to guess that the XT levers are sold individually, while the XTRs are sold as a set? This is the only reason I can come up with that explains the odd discrepancy. Can anyone attest to the flyweightitude of the XTR levers?
    Thanks.
    yes the XT is 256g/pr. way heavier than the XTR.

wyrd bi ful rd
    the M775 lever weighs 129g.
    the M775 caliper weighs 144g.

naturally without fluid ...

and the shimano standard hose weighs about 23g for a 130cm length ...

i did not weigh the olive and insert pin ...

hope this will help ...

mtbr member
    I had last year's XTR setup and I didn't like the way t he caliper flexed. Instead, I sold them and got the XT and ther is a differencewhen I use them with my 203mm rotors. Way less caliper flex.

mtbr member
    Just curious, how far can the XT's pads be adjusted out away from the rotor?