Thread: XTR vs. Zee

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. XTR vs. Zee

I'm looking for a new set of brakes for my Nomad.
    I've been searching for Zee reviews and couldn't find much.
    I'm debating between the Zees and the XTR Trails as they are about the same $$$.
    I currently live in Fl, all flat, but I'll be moving to western WA in the future, and want a set that can take the gravity abuse in WA.
    Weight is not much of a concern, I'm more concerned with reliability and durability.

Im 220lbs when all geared up.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    I have only seen Zee's on Shimano's website.. Looks ok, but I find the name cheesey. I would sugfest you just go for XT's and save. They've got a good reputation and are probably the best compromise you will find (value & performance).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use Saints on a few bikes and I would go with the Zee's. The Zee's appear to be a low cost version of the current Saint,it's probably comparable in performance to the last generation Saint brakes BRM-810.

The BR-810M are great brakes, unfortunately if you ride hard you'll probably want even MORE power. However we're talking about some very fast speeds before that happens.

mtbr member
    I replaced the Xt brakes on my 2013 Trek Remedy 9 with new zees. What a difference! For aggressive trail and freeride stuff the zees are first rate. I used them with ice tech rotors. 203 front 180 rear. Substantially stronger than Xt's, XTr's trail or non trail. Worth every penny.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Quote Originally Posted by verdugomountainlocal View Post
    I replaced the Xt brakes on my 2013 Trek Remedy 9 with new zees. What a difference! For aggressive trail and freeride stuff the zees are first rate. I used them with ice tech rotors. 203 front 180 rear. Substantially stronger than Xt's, XTr's trail or non trail. Worth every penny.
    Apology to the OP for going off tangent, but I got a question.

How does Zee's modulation compared to XT's? I have M785s - they are great for riding on trails, but I find them to be little too grabby for doing manuals and stuff.

mtbr member
    Katz, The Zees modulate better than XT's. It's noticeable, maybe 15-20 percent better modulation. Not quite so on/off like the xt's. The zee's are VERY strong though so be careful.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    Appreciate your input! I think I'll have to give them a shot.

Dirt Bike Craig
    I may have to try them out as well! I was contemplating XT's or another set of XTR's to replace my XO's. I like the XTR's a lot (M988), so much more smooth and quiet than the XO's
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc