mtbr member

XTR vs Hope Mini

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a set of disc brakes, and I'm comparing the XTR discs with the Hope Minis.

Both sets will be fairly close in price and weight, and since my SID probably wont take anything bigger than 160mm, which brakeset would you go with and why??

Thanks

Ming

RHRF!

XTR for me...

I have been running XTR disc with XT levers for a 1-1/2 years and they are excellent. I upgraded to Goodridge lines and the power and modulation slow down my 230 lb clyde a$$ in a hurry, with only 160 rotors. I've never used the Hopes, so I can't honestly say if they're any better but my XTR's make riding (and stopping) a pleasure.
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm in the other camp . . .I use Hope Mono Minis (160mm Front/140mm rear) but have never used XTR's.

The Hope's are super sweet. Lightweight, good modulation and even with the little pizza cutter rotor in the rear stop me and have never left me needing more stopping power. I run Dangerboy Levers on mine and wouldn't trade them for anything else.

The main reason I'd overlook Shimano stuff is the integrated shifter stuff and the way they shift. Just not my style. (I <3 SRAM)

Trey

mtbr member
    Now we have one opinion each from their perspective users. This still doesn't help me to make up my mind though LOL

I found this review today on the review board of this site. Can someone verify this???

Thanks

Ming

Submitted by Justin Guy a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch
    Date Reviewed: 3/22/2004 7:10:37 PM
    Duration Product Used: Less than 1 month
    Purchased At: OEM on a Kona Dawg
    Strengths: Reasonably light, easy set-up (subject to the little problem below), use mineral oil c.f. nasty dot5 fluid, work o.k. in most conditions.
    Weaknesses: The non-adjustable pistons tend not to reset themselves to centre properly, so regardless of how much time you spend aligning everything, you tend to get pad-drag. They also squeal like a set of out-of-tune bag pipes (and are about as much use for stopping) in the muck and wet, use dopey 'A' spec (manatou style) bolting system which, although easy to set up, looks cheap and ugly with the extra bolts and adapters required to get them onto 90% of all bikes, (also prone to coming loose - use locktite), but the biggest bummer is the usual array of shimano proprietry differences (low pad / rotor interface depth)which makes interchanging wheels a pain in the A unless you use shimano rotors and calipers on all your bikes - which now means using shimano centrelock hubs on all your wheels - which means more $$$ for shimano.
    Similar Products Tried: Hope Minis, Avid mechanical
    Bike Setup: 2004 Spec Kona Dawg Primo
    Bottom Line: The performance of these brakes is decidedly average, and coupled with the other issues, have been a bit disappointing so far. They aren't even close to the performance of Hope's minis by any measure (maybe I've been spoiled), and like too many of shimano's offerings, they aren't necessarily compatible with the rest of your gear. My bike came equipped with 2004 XT, including the integrated shifter / brake lever - another example of shimano creating a solution where there was never a problem. The new shifter / lever combo shifts no better than rapidfire+, and the levers also tend to flop around on bumpy stuff - having to fish around for them on bumpy decents with corners fast approaching isn't exactly reassuring. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for innovation, and some of the 2004 XT bits are great (e.g. cranks), but the brakes are nothing special. If I could retrofit Hope brakes I would - except doing so also means new shifter pods and presumably an old style XT rear derailleur. My recommendation would be to buy something else (Hope Minis would be a better alternative) unless you ride tame XC and don't mind being stuck with fairly ordinary gear.

SIngletrack Mind

Would it help

if I said I've been running Magura Martas for a year and love them? Light, strong, look great, full strength after 40 miles, no squealing or rub, and after 600 miles it looks like I'm not even half way thru the pads.

mtbr member
    A little late to the party... both brakes are top notch lightweight XC brakes, the question is do you want to run the XTR integrated levers. If no, go for the Hope's, if yes, go for the XTR's. (You can run them with the old style XT levers but at that point I think you are better off with the Hopes)
    The Hopes have an advantage that rebuild parts (seals ect) are available, the XTR brakes, like most of Shimano's other products are intended to be a black box (component level repairs only) If you have a problem you toss the part and bolt on a new one (in or out of warranty)

PS: The review you found is basically nonsense. The monomini is in a different class than the old mini. If the reviewer wanted an all mountain/freeride brake he should have gone with the Mono4, it weighs about the same as the old Mini and performs considerably better.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

That review was of the shimanos

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy
    A little late to the party... both brakes are top notch lightweight XC brakes, the question is do you want to run the XTR integrated levers. If no, go for the Hope's, if yes, go for the XTR's. (You can run them with the old style XT levers but at that point I think you are better off with the Hopes)
    The Hopes have an advantage that rebuild parts (seals ect) are available, the XTR brakes, like most of Shimano's other products are intended to be a black box (component level repairs only) If you have a problem you toss the part and bolt on a new one (in or out of warranty)

PS: The review you found is basically nonsense. The monomini is in a different class than the old mini. If the reviewer wanted an all mountain/freeride brake he should have gone with the Mono4, it weighs about the same as the old Mini and performs considerably better.
    The review he found was of the shimanos. It says the hope minis were far better than his shimanos. I haven't used the minis, but I have the mono M4 and really like them, great power, but just super modulation, I have 180f/160r. Looks like you're looking for xc brakes though. I imagine the monominis would meet your needs.

Chrome Toaster
    Let me start off by debunking the absurd myth that you will have to use the integrated levers to use Shimano brakes. They sell the calipers with no levers for a reason. If you don't want the integrated shifters pick up a set of XT levers. Thats why they make them. The XT/XTR setup is still one of the lightest around. Lighter than the Mini's. The STI + XTR setup is lighter than any disc+standard shifter combo in the market.
    I've used several sets of both but of the original Mini, not the mono version.
    The commonly refered to problem of the shimano units pistons not always retracting properly was mainly on some of the original units. Nevertheless don't even think for a second that this problem was or is exclusive to shimano. I've run discs from nearly every single manufacturer there is and they ALL suffer from that at some point or another. Currently I have changed all my bikes to Shimano. I have 2 sets of XTR's and one set of XT's. They are the same brake, The only difference is there is more metal shaved off the XTR caliper. The shimano's have the most consistent brakes I have ever tried in the last 5 years when it comes to the pistons NOT rubbing. They actually tend to self adjust so well that on several of my calipers I can just install them with nearly no alignment and the pistons will self adjust to the right position after a few lever pumps. I can't say the same about my Mini's. Not only did the pistons rub, they had a nasty tendency to seize up hard sometimes requiring the caliper to be dissasembled to be able to reset them. Three of my buddies also bought them and to this day they still keep having that problem with them. I haven't heard much about the Mono's but I would imagine they might have fixed this problem. They are both excellent brakes and you probably wouldn't be dissapointed with either one. Just don't let the anti shimano sentiment and ignorance factor into your decision. They are truly excellent brakes.

Chrome Toaster
    Not quite true. A very large part of the small parts to repair shimano parts are easily available by QBP and any online or local shop that carries their catalogue can order them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny
    if I said I've been running Magura Martas for a year and love them? Light, strong, look great, full strength after 40 miles, no squealing or rub, and after 600 miles it looks like I'm not even half way thru the pads.
    The Martas are a bit more difficult to find, and the SL version is a bit more than what I want to spend.

Ming

mtbr member

Since I ride primarily XC, so I think I'm going to enjoy the dual control levers

The seller with the XTR group hasn't responded for a few days, so I may look for some XT levers + calipers off ebay

Cheers

Ming

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Let me start off by debunking the absurd myth that you will have to use the integrated levers to use Shimano brakes. They sell the calipers with no levers for a reason. If you don't want the integrated shifters pick up a set of XT levers. Thats why they make them. The XT/XTR setup is still one of the lightest around. Lighter than the Mini's. The STI + XTR setup is lighter than any disc+standard shifter combo in the market.
    I've used several sets of both but of the original Mini, not the mono version.
    The commonly refered to problem of the shimano units pistons not always retracting properly was mainly on some of the original units. Nevertheless don't even think for a second that this problem was or is exclusive to shimano. I've run discs from nearly every single manufacturer there is and they ALL suffer from that at some point or another. Currently I have changed all my bikes to Shimano. I have 2 sets of XTR's and one set of XT's. They are the same brake, The only difference is there is more metal shaved off the XTR caliper. The shimano's have the most consistent brakes I have ever tried in the last 5 years when it comes to the pistons NOT rubbing. They actually tend to self adjust so well that on several of my calipers I can just install them with nearly no alignment and the pistons will self adjust to the right position after a few lever pumps. I can't say the same about my Mini's. Not only did the pistons rub, they had a nasty tendency to seize up hard sometimes requiring the caliper to be dissasembled to be able to reset them. Three of my buddies also bought them and to this day they still keep having that problem with them. I haven't heard much about the Mono's but I would imagine they might have fixed this problem. They are both excellent brakes and you probably wouldn't be dissapointed with either one. Just don't let the anti shimano sentiment and ignorance factor into your decision. They are truly excellent brakes.

Thanks for all this useful information!!!

I think I will enjoy the dual control levers, so I'm going to hunt down a XT set on ebay

Can't wait until I get my Avid SD7s off my bike

Ming

I already rode that
    Depends. I think the minis are lighter then the XTR setup? Using XT levers since XTRS dont come seperate.
    I like using dual controls on my bike and other then the dreaded SPS with the XTR calipers they work great. Newer XTR supposedly doesnt have that problem.

Do a search and I think you'll find a post by someone that did use both at one time or maybe he used Maguras Marta SL's? instead of Mini's I forget...

mtbr member
    Well, I just paid for this ebay auction.

Ended up with a pair of XT dual control shifters and XT calipers.

$230 for all the gears above off a brand new bike

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

I think I did pretty well for my money.

Next step is to find a disc wheelset and brake rotors....

Ming