Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004

XTR V-brakes vs. Paul Motolites

I'm in the market for v-brakes. Been using XT/XTR v-brakes for the past 12 years or so--they've treated me well. I'm considering another pair of Shimanos, or a pair of Pauls. Does anybody here have experience with both of these brakes? How do the Pauls feel compared to the Shimanos? I think that the Pauls are marginally lighter, but I don't care too much about weight...

mtbr member
    Just curious, why not Avid?

I like rocks
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    Just curious, why not Avid?

He may be like me, and have had terrible luck with Avid. I have an old hardtail that I currently run mullet style, but I've used plenty of different v-brakes on it, and every Avid I ever used just fell apart. Which is probably just bad luck on my part as almost everyone else raves about them.

I'm still waiting for an ancient Shimano XT to die so I can replace it with a NOS XTR v-brake on the rear of said hardtail. A lot of people have complained of the linkages on Shimanos getting sloppy, but mine have held up fine - that maybe due to the fact that I've always used a brake booster with v-brakes to up the power and keep the canti studs from flexing. No idea really, I just know mine are still going strong.

As to the Paul's, I had some and ended up selling them. Plenty of power but required much more frequent adjustments. I'd probably be more apt to buy Avids over Pauls just due to that factor despite my past bad experiences with Avid.
    If you go looking for trouble, you can be sure it's gaining from behind.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've used Paul Motolites for 10 years on one bike and XTR V brakes on another bike for 9 years. Sometimes the XTRs tended to bind up a bit on the post if they weren't cleaned regularly. Pauls have been trouble free. To me both seem to generate similar braking power with similar modulation. With the Pauls the brake lever choice made a big difference in how they felt in terms of modulation. I originally had Paul levers. The modulation was not so great. Crashed and destroyed one lever so I switched to Sram ESP levers and the modulation equaled that of the XTR setup (V brake and lever).

CJ

Rudy Project Eyewear
    +1 for the SD7's

mtbr member
    I've used XT v-brakes for 10+ years and switched to Motolites about a year ago. The v-brakes were used with XT levers and later Speed Dial 7 levers. The Motolites are set up with Love Levers.

When I first switched to the Motolites/Love Levers I thought they felt a little 'wooden', but after adjusting the pad position on the brake arm they felt pretty good. After using the Paul's brakes for a while I definitely prefer them over my other bike with Speed Dial/Singledigit brakes.

Other than that, the Paul's brakes are easier to adjust than the XT v-brakes and are simple to tear-down and clean.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

wants a taco
    I am a strong follower of avid ultimate's if your gonna run a nice v brake set up. cartridge bearings instead of bushings and super stiff. Its more than enough to work consistently well on my trials bike, much better than my magura rim brakes on the other trials bike.

With that being said, old shimano v-brakes were very nice the only problem I ever had was over time the pivots would develop play and squeel at times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i'm going to second the avid sd-7's. i just replaced my xt v-brakes (98 model with parallel push) and avid sd 2.0 levers with the sd-7 brakes and levers. the stopping power is great - maybe too good (also, i went from red ritchey pads to kool stop pads, and a 11 year old set of mavic 217 rims to a new set of mavic 717 rims - which i am sure all have something to do with the great stopping power). brakes do not feel flexy like my shimano xt did. was able to get the entire setup for less than $70.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golfernut78
    was able to get the entire setup for less than $70.
    It is hard to argue against $70 for the everything; that doesn't even cover one Paul's Motolite and if roughly the cost of one XTR v-brake. While I prefer the Paul's brakes to the Avids, the Avids plus over $200 cash would be tempting. I second the Koolstop pads.

This thread needs photos. Paul's on the left, Avids on the right. Both of us were able to stop, neither died. However, the one of the right had $200 extra for beer. Tough choice.
    Dave
    Blog / Strava

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 251
    It is hard to argue against $70 for the everything; that doesn't even cover one Paul's Motolite and if roughly the cost of one XTR v-brake. While I prefer the Paul's brakes to the Avids, the Avids plus over $200 cash would be tempting. I second the Koolstop pads.

This thread needs photos. Paul's on the left, Avids on the right. Both of us were able to stop, neither died. However, the one of the right had $200 extra for beer. Tough choice.
    should clarify, the sd 7 brakes (front and rear) and sd 7 levers were less than $70. i had previously bought the brake pads, but hadn't installed them yet and then just waited for the new brakes to arrive to use them. also, paired the brakes up with a nice set of xtr brake levers - very very nice.

by the way, like the lightspeed. would love to get a lightspeed someday.

iRonic

Question....

The Stumpjumper is getting a new fork soon, and the canti's are going elsewhere. Avid V-brakes seem the way to go... $200 more for the fork!.

The question is...

The Deore LX M-system cantilevers have self contained bearings on the pivots (M-system), so, the surface of the rear brake posts is painted. Should I remove the paint somehow before installing the V's, or does it matter as long as they are greased well? Or do the Avid's have self-contained bearings on the pivots, too?
    Ron

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Thank you for the replies, everyone. I appreciate it. I'm now considering Avids too.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    By the way, that Eriksen looks b!tchin'!