mtbr member
    Aug 2004

XTR v-brakes vs. Avid / interchangability?

I recently bought a new bike that came w/ Avid SD-5R brakes w/ speed-dial levers. My old bike had XTR V-brakes that I'm removing before selling. I'm wondering if my XTRs will work w/ the Avid levers. Or, should I just keep the Avids and let the XTR's collect dust...

I am new here, but not to general forum use, so I did do a search for similar topics but came up with no decent matches before posting this.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by C3_43
    I recently bought a new bike that came w/ Avid SD-5R brakes w/ speed-dial levers. My old bike had XTR V-brakes that I'm removing before selling. I'm wondering if my XTRs will work w/ the Avid levers. Or, should I just keep the Avids and let the XTR's collect dust...

I am new here, but not to general forum use, so I did do a search for similar topics but came up with no decent matches before posting this.
    Don't worry. Totally compatible.

Which year XTR's?? Why should you drop the XTR levers??
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    Don't worry. Totally compatible.

Which year XTR's?? Why should you drop the XTR levers??
    I don't know what year XTR's they are. They are probably at least 5 or 6 years old. Barely ridden in the last 4 years. As for levers, I only have an XTR shifter pod / lever assembly for the rear and it's for a 24 speed and I now have 27 speed. I don't have the front shifter pod as it suffered a terrible fate years ago.... (bad crash - many rocks).

"El Whatever"
    I don't know what year XTR's they are. They are probably at least 5 or 6 years old. Barely ridden in the last 4 years. As for levers, I only have an XTR shifter pod / lever assembly for the rear and it's for a 24 speed and I now have 27 speed. I don't have the front shifter pod as it suffered a terrible fate years ago.... (bad crash - many rocks).
    The Avid levers will do fine.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp2003
    The Avid levers will do fine.
    Thanks for the input. Do you guys think the XTRs will out-perform the Avids? I'm running Mavic x225 rims. As soon as I pick up some new pads for the XTRs I'm gonna throw them on and see how they do.

mtbr member
    trie to get some kool stop brake shoes. they will make your xtr brakes much more powerfull. xtr stock pads are not that good.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Tracking up the place
    Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    trie to get some kool stop brake shoes. they will make your xtr brakes much more powerfull. xtr stock pads are not that good.

I agree....I took my XTR levers off my bike and put on AVID Ti levers...I actually think the avids are better, not lighter but definitively better...I also use 7 inch avid disc's, but did use XT XTR v's....... Avid has the market in my op.......
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroow
    I agree....I took my XTR levers off my bike and put on AVID Ti levers...I actually think the avids are better, not lighter but definitively better...I also use 7 inch avid disc's, but did use XT XTR v's....... Avid has the market in my op.......
    So, are you saying there's not much benefit in running the XTR's besides bling-factor? I was planning to run Kool-stops in the XTRs - if I go with them.

Tracking up the place
    So, are you saying there's not much benefit in running the XTR's besides bling-factor? I was planning to run Kool-stops in the XTRs - if I go with them.

YEah the adjustibilty factor of avids is far superior to XTR, XTR is adjustable, but not easily..XTR are lighter but, I had XTR four years, changed to AVID after trying a buddies. They are as smooth, infinitly adjustable even while riding. KOOL Stop pads are the way to go very awesome braking surface and come in many conditions.

I will paint my car XTR gray though such a rich color of gray....Nice....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    While I haven't tried the -5R, if they're OEM, I'm a little curious. The old SD5s were rock solid, as were the 7s. The old SD3s were OEM models, and were pretty much crap.

Assuming the -5R is comparable to the old 5, then really, I'd stick with it. No parallel push, no gimmicks, just a rigid piece of aluminum that won't flex. Personally, I always like the 7s, but that's just because they were a bt lighter, and just looked a lot nicer, I thought. But the main reason I liked them... they work better than anything else I've every tried. In combination with a ceramic rim, and a salsa brake booster, I think they worked as well as disc brakes. Truly awesome.

XTR is shimano bling, sure. They'll work with the Avid levers, if you decide to go that way. Run with the avids for a while, see how you like them, try the XTR for a while, see if you notice a difference. Avid's not as well known, since they don't make *everything.* They make brakes. Brakes, levers, cables, housing. Vbrakes, cantis, disc brakes. It's what they do, and they do it very well. Without gimmicks, without nonsense. Their levers are awesome, and very easy to adjust, as someone mentioned... without tools. They still make the best mechanical disc brake. And, as I said... their V brakes are divine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Couldn't resist...

Well, I switched the Avid's for the XTRs. I ran the Avids for several rides and had no issues at all with them. Only problem was everytime I came home the XTRs were sitting on the bench looking at me. So, since I have too much free time I threw them on and will see how they compare. Just around the house they seem to stop a little better, but I haven't been on a good ride yet to get a good idea. I'll let you know.

the catalan connection

You are comparing different levels.Xtr are ball bearing actuated...

...where Avds 5,7,and Ti are bushings. This might be the origin of the dif. you felt in performance.Besides, Xtrs will not develop play, where Avds will. If you want a ball bearing actuated lever from Avd youll have to jump to the mega dollars Ultimates ( this ones are at the Xtr market level).
    Although Speed Dial is a nice feature, I found myself very rarely playing with it, on the trail or at home. Just set them to my favourite leverage and left it there.
    I just wonder what are you doing letting those Xtr so bored on the bench , Avds Sd5 are a great value best sellers for sure, but I found Xtrs are just better levers.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I'm not running XTR levers...

I'm still using the Avid levers with my XTR brakes. My old XTR shifter/lever pods were for 8 speed and since I now have a 9 speed, I sold them. I need to save my pennies for some new XT or XTR levers. I'll be watching e-bay for a while.

Tracking up the place
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    I just wonder what are you doing letting those Xtr so bored on the bench , Avds Sd5 are a great value best sellers for sure, but I found Xtrs are just better levers.

They have developed play, 4yrs on them with 3000+ miles. They still work and may end up on another bike. But I don't like the play in them, I like the lightness they offer, great color, and have been there...but I like adjustablity on the fly, and with the variance in trails around here from 4 miles xc down --to the short trail rollers in SD having some variance at the lever for me is what I needed-wanted( my wife says). She runs the LX Shifter Brake Combo..Simply cause of size of her hand and the massive lever reach screw which brings them close.

It's preference, but for me now performance...If the AVIDS fail me...I 'll do what I need to get good levers, no great...