mtbr member

XTR V-Brakes: Replacement Pad Options

A year ago, my front wheel had seem better days. Worn out rim braking surface, bearings were nearly seized. Since I needed a new front wheel, why not spend the extra $50 and get a BB7 up front. So I ditched the front XTR v-brake and slapped on the BB7. Awesome!

Only problem is that I have no rear disc tabs on my frame, so I still have an XTR v-brake in the rear, and it can't keep up with the BB7 up front. I've always only used Shimano pads and never had any complaints, but now I've experienced better braking and want the rear brake to perform more closely to the front.

What replacement pad inserts should I get? Reviews of the Kool Stop inserts are all positive, especially when compared to the Shimano pads. So what's the consensus?

Thanks,
    G

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumSchtick2112
    So what's the consensus?

Thanks,
    G
    The consensus? No rim brake will ever give you the same performance as a disc.

Avid Rim wrangler, Kool Stop and Shimano are all pretty much equal. Just depends which one is cheaper.

wants a taco
    the salmon kool stops seem to set the standard for wet weather. Even better than that, if your running a waterford (or any decent steel bike for that reason) send your frame off to waterford and have them install some disc tabs on the rear, usually that stuff can be taken care of pretty easily.