bikexor

XTR V-Brake stud problem - too short!

I picked up a set of XTR V brakes on craigslist ($35! Score!) but the studs I have on my frame now don't seem to fit right. When I slide the brake onto the stud there at least 8-9 mm of space between the end of the stud and the end of the brake (pic 1). Additionally, the flanges where you would put a wrench on the stud prevent the brake from totally seating into the spring hole... not good (pic 2). The rear allows the pin to sit completely, but there's still 8-9mm of gap between the stud end and brake end (pic 3).

I tried to order the part "XTR V Brake Mounting Bolt" (http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...t.aspx?sc=FRGL) from Jenson and got a set of 10mm long 5mm hex bolts (wtf?). There wasn't a pic of what I was ordering online so I figured it had to be right (wrong!).

Does anyone know of specific studs for XTR or XT V Brakes that I need to order and where to find them. I took the brake and wrong-sized studs into the LBS and they didn't have anything on the shelf and couldn't find anything in the catalog either.

Hell, I'll even buy a set from someone if you've got any kicking around!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Little Shred Riding Hood

Rip Van Winkle
    Did you have canti-levers on there before? Are you sure they aren't just seating wrong?

bikexor
    Actually, you're right: the whole thing was cantilever but I replaced the fork so I swapped a set of v-brake studs from a different bikes on the new fork. So now just the rear has the canti studs.

The rear brake seats all the way, but the stud doesn't seem long enough.

The front brake bottoms out on the wrench flanges before the pin can seat all the way.
    Little Shred Riding Hood

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Odd. Mine are the same way. (Just got them, never used them).

They fit on the stud all the way, but the stud seems too short.

I'm guessing they're meant to be that way...the brake arms don't actually pivot on the stud itself, like some other brakes...

Edit: I tried them on multiple bikes/studs...which, to my knowledge, are all one standard size...

AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    I just installed a set of V Brakes on a 95 GT that had cantis. They fit fine.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quite agree Derockus. I've just fitted an XT V-brake to replace the old cheapo one originally fitted. The Old brake did not need as long a stud as the XT.

SO I'M IN THE MARKET FOR A SET OF LONG STUDS.
    ANY ONE GOT ANY IN THE BITS BOX?

mtbr member
    er i had no problem upgrade from canti to Vs back in 2000. how short is this short you guys are reffering to? the ones i took off have a 16mm shank

the upper one are from my frame (99 FSR) when i upgraded to disc, the lower ones are from my fork. they have same shank
    Last edited by vk45de; 08-23-2009 at 09:07 PM.

bikexor
    Well, I think the problem is solved (or at least worked out).

I drove to every bike shop and no had any longer studs. I ended up just getting a set that had less flange so the pin seats all the way down. I guess the short studs shouldn't be a problem because the main brake arm is fully supported on the stud. It's just the outer pivot area that's hovering around the securing bolt... Oh well, we'll see how they work.
    Little Shred Riding Hood