mtbr member
    Jul 2008

XTR m988 notchy/clicking

Not sure if anyone can help, but thought I'd throw this out there. I have an XTR m988 trail brakeset. Lately, the rear brake lever has been acting a little "notchy". In other words, there is a point in the throw of the brake lever where the pressure needed to get past a certain point spikes a little higher, making the brake feel slightly "indexed". There's a faint "tick" sound from the lever at that point as well.

Underneath the brake lever, there is a rolling pin that follows a curved track in the bottom of the lever "chassis", presumably to alter the leverage ratio at different points of the throw. The track turns sharply at one point, and that's exactly where the tick sound and notchy behavior is coming from.

I've tried using a little tri-flow on the pin and the track at this location, but it hasn't made a difference. The brake did not act like this when new. Does anyone have any experience or insight into this? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How long have you been using the brakes?

I'm on the new Saint brakes and had the same notchy feel and click straight from the box. It went away after around 5 rides.

If you recently lubed it, try to see too if it's attracting any grit on that area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    How long have you been using the brakes?

I'm on the new Saint brakes and had the same notchy feel and click straight from the box. It went away after around 5 rides.

If you recently lubed it, try to see too if it's attracting any grit on that area.
    Used them for two abbreviated seasons (maybe 40 rides total, not sure exactly). They just started up late this season.

I haven't ridden since lubing them - I was hoping to flush any grit that may be on there, but now I don't think it's a grit issue anymore, seems to have something to do with how the pin and roller assembly (for lack of a better name) align with the part of the lever that presses against them. If I gently use a flat-bladed screwdriver to push the roller so that it's centered perfectly with the lever, then it gets quiet for a little while, but eventually starts making noise again.

After removing the lever, I hit the upper "track" (which I couldn't see while the lever was mounted) with a little lube. That reduced the notchiness although it's still somewhat there, as is the ticking sound.