AOK
    mtbr member

XTR M985 - how to adjust free stroke via bleeding?

I would like to adjust my M985s to have a little less free stroke so that they will bite earlier in the lever throw.

I think the only way to do this is to bleed them. Can anyone give some pointers on what specifically I should be doing during the bleed process to set the bite point?

For reference, I have bled older Shimano brakes before, but it has been a while. I have never done a bleed on the new 985s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    There is a free stroke adjustment knob. Have you tried that?

AOK
    mtbr member
    I think that is only on the trail (m988) version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    on my maguras i used a piston spacer around 2 mm thinner than normal. This was achieved by 2 old pads with a dremel cut off wheel or two sandwiched between and measured. This did the trick, however it means the rotor has to be and stay true
    Last edited by natrat; 11-23-2012 at 07:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    pull the pads(always do that first so you dont nuke the pads if oil leaks out).. then i insert the block spacer or sometimes just use old pads that are very worn down and use a screwdriver between them(this say you dont touch the pistons).. Now loosen your master cylinder and make it parallel to the ground.. Take the cap off.. Get your your syringe with fluid ready for the rear-- put a 7mm wrench over the hose and attach them both to the nipple.. make sure your oil cup or capture syringe is on the front master cylinder.. Open the rear bleed port and push the fluid trough.. If you havnt done it for a while(or ever) id push all the current fluid out and just replace it.. Youll see the mucky oil coming out and eventually it will turn clear.. Lock down the rear bleed nipple-- pull the syringe off of it -- wipe it down and put the pads back in(make sure no oil hits the pads or they are toast).. Put the tire back on-- and squeeze the brake lever so the pads adjust to the rotor.. The act of adjusting the pads with the oil thing on the master and the master parallel to the ground will put a bit more oil into the system and reduce the throw.. remove the front oil syringe-- put the cap back on and lower the brake back to riding position.. You should have a lot less throw.. in fact it might be a bit tooo little throw now.. Which is ok-- cause you can just open the front cap and let a little oil out and that should bring it back to right.. Now you have new fresh oil and less throw.. If you need even less throw(which i doubt you will) you can just move the master back to parallel to the ground-- and attach a bleed syringe and "push" a bit of fluid into the system.. This should tighten it up a bit..

mtbr member
    there is an allen wrench adjustment. no need to bleed them.