mtbr member

XTR M975 modulation

Wondering if this is just me, but I have a couple rides on my XTR M975 brakes and can't say I am thrilled about them so far.

To start with, my setup is a 29er with some cheap ebay 203mm rotors. The brakes work great and I can stop on a dime and lock them up any time I want. They don't overheat or make noise. My main complaint is that the are much more difficult to modulate than the really old Hayes on my old bike (with tiny rotors). When descending steep hills it's just a constant lock, skid, unlock situation. When braking, small bumps are just enough to slightly move my fingers and lock them up. Is this just what Shimano brakes feel like? Is it the 203mm rotors? Or is it that they are still breaking in? Or is it a really good braking system and I am so used to my old crappy brakes that I cannot control the new brakes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I think it's the latter of what you said. I've not tried these yet and plan to put them on my new build. But 203mm rotors are what downhill bikes run and you're used to older brakes vs. the latest Shimano gems.

Just enjoy that you'll save your fingers from less exertion. You'll get used to them in time.

BTW, who'd you get the 203s from on ebay and what did you pay (if I can ask, PM me if you can)?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member

great modulation here

I guess there would be differences across the product line, but I thought one of the stronger points of the xtr's is their modulation. I find mine are anything but on/off and love how precise I can be with them. My only complaint as been sticky pistons/drag.

mtbr member
    I will get a few more rides under my belt and see if it's just me needign to get used to them.

Here is the ebay auction I got the rotors from, hard to beat $15 for a rotor!
    http://tinyurl.com/c4k6wj

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    sounds like the rotors are too big, go down to 180 and you'll be less likely to lock them up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1
    I will get a few more rides under my belt and see if it's just me needign to get used to them.

Here is the ebay auction I got the rotors from, hard to beat $15 for a rotor!
    http://tinyurl.com/c4k6wj
    That's not $15. It's between 19-22 depending on how much you buy. While def cheaper than LBS rotors, it's still plenty expensive by ebay standards.

banned
    Apr 2009
    It's 15+7 shipping = 22.
    Last edited by Satiro; 04-24-2009 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    I picked up 2 plus mounting hardware with combined shipping, so it was more like 16 or 17 each for me. Sorry if I lead you astray.

mtbr member
    Run resin pads w/ them. Kool stop or the Shimano version. Way better modulation than a metal pad though w/ a bit less power.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Thank-you for the suggestion! I will look into getting the resin pads.