mtbr member

XTR M975 IS - had to remove shims...

Hi. I have put 100+ Km on my hardtail with no problems. Today I noticed I had some rubbing between the Caliper and the rotor in the rear only.

When I checked it out, I noticed that the rotor was touching the edge of the caliper on both sided.

I Had to remove the 2 shims I had installed when I first installed them. Its like the caliper has meved towards the wheel. With all shimms removed, the spacing is perfect.

Why did this happen, Maybe I have bent the caliper a little by braking hard or have bent my Caliper adaptor or my chaintsays?

Weird...

Meh.
    Did you take the wheel out at some point? Have you checked to make sure that the wheel is all the way in the dropouts, and the QR skewer nice and tight? Have you checked for even piston movement?

I doubt that you managed to bend a caliper or mounts.

mtbr member
    I did take the wheel out and re-tightened the skewers. It ended up at the same place.

I was fooling around locking my rear while riding; maybe I torqued the adaptor or the XTR's thin IS caliper mounts.

I don't know but it feels like something can't hold my 230LBS.

The caliper is centered again and I will be going out for a ride to see if it moves again.

mtbr member
    Ok. well I have no clue as to what happened. All I know is that I had to put a thin shim on the upper bolt and no shim on the lower one (caliper bolted directly to the adaptor). The adaptor(thats came with the frame) seems straight and so does the caliper. Maybe the frame or hubs have set in?

Anyways after I did this, I took it for a ride and I did lose braking power, but that's because the pads feel as though they need to set in again.

I am wondering how strong the rear IS tab is since it is thin and long. I think Shimano skimped out on that part.

Is this a normal thing to have different amount of shims on the bolts in order to center the caliper?

Thx

Meh.
    If you have had your tabs faced, you should not need different numbers of spacers. If you have not had your tabs faced, then yes, you might.

Adapter? If it it a post mount caliper bolted to an IS adapter, there is no need for shimming.

mtbr member
    Pics.

As you can clearly see , the rotor is more on one side than the other on the bottom bolt and I have no shims there. thats maximum exterior adj.

Anyways just took it fo another ride 15 minutes ago and it seems to have no problems locking rear tire now. The brakes seem to be working like before. I still havene't found why the sudden shim shift.

Thx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (19.1 KB, 127 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (11.8 KB, 124 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (14.6 KB, 127 views)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Wow that has to be the funkiest disc mount i've seen. All the braking forces will act like a lever on that thing.

Meh.
    Is that a Trek, Gary Fisher, Klein, or whatever frame?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Is that a Trek, Gary Fisher, Klein, or whatever frame?

Its a Gary Fisher 2005 ZR 9000 Ziggurat Frame

mtbr member
    Brought the bike to the LBS and they will work on it today. the first thing the mechanica said is that I need to face the frame this way the caliper will be spot on.

We'll see...

Meh.
    Even if you face the tabs, if the frame isn't to spec, it'll still be cocked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Even if you face the tabs, if the frame isn't to spec, it'll still be cocked.
    Spoke to the BS I purchased the frame from and he says he has 2 racers riding the same frame. One is 280lbs and the other is 265lbs. He said I should not be worried about my frame as it is GF 2005 top of the line HT frame and can easily handle the XTR brakes and my 230lbs weight. 7005 double butted aluminum is a flexy but strong frame. Also my problem could just be the way I centered the caliper. Anyways, money is no object for this bike. The LBS will make it work.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    did you consider that maybe the wheel wasnt mounted correctly when it was originally set up? then, when you removed the wheel and replaced it the caliper was off.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    did you consider that maybe the wheel wasnt mounted correctly when it was originally set up? then, when you removed the wheel and replaced it the caliper was off.
    could very well be, but I always pay attention when I squezemy skewers.

Anyways, picked the bike up today. Can't ride it because of this rainstorm and strong winds so I haven't tested it..

All looks well. The mechanic did a great job in facing and aligning the rear caliper. He also re-torqued the spokes on my rear wheel. $45.00, not bad!

I also picked up a 16" Rocky Mountain Soul for my GF. Mechanical 6" Hayes discs front/rear. Work like a charm. RockShox U1 fork, 100mm stem, Shimano acera/alivio on all the rest. Alexrims wheels and Kenda tires. All in all, I rode it and am very happy with the $650 CND price tag it had.

BUT, it does not even come close to April, My Bike!

Ringo, my 4 legged pest.

Thx
    Attached Images Attached Images