mtbr member
    Apr 2006

XTR M975 disc brake hose

Can someone shed some light on my disc hose question? Can I use any model of Shimano disc hose for my XTR M975 brakes? I saw a hose (SM-BH-59) on Ebay and it was claimed that I can use it for my XTR M975 brakes. However, when I search through Google, this SM-BH59 hose is specced for Deore M525 brakes. So my simple question is can use this hose model or should I use something else? This is just for my rear brake so I'm not looking for a Goodridge type so it will match the regular hose I have on the front.

Thanks for the help.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah..it's the same hose...the SM-BH-59 is the shimano hose with 0deg connectors at both ends, most of the current generation of shimano brakes (Deore, SLX, XT, XTR) use this hose IIRC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Sm-bh59

So I can just buy the SM-BH59 hose and a pair of inserts and olives? I have an existing hose but there's a cut on it. I assume I can still reuse the connecting bolts (the threaded portion) and rubber cover in the brake lever, is that right? When you say 0 deg connector, are you referring to the banjo or not? Thanks.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    if you get a new hose it should come with all the fittings....

0 deg. means a straight connector (no banjo)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It is a great thing that Shimano changed.

THe previous gen had XTR 2 banjos, XT 1 banjo and 1 straight, lx 2 straight.

It was a huge PITA b/c the hose and fittings you needed were not always readily available.

Now they are all interchangeable (which means the hose is cheaper as well). A win in my book.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Sm-bh59

Also the SM-BH59 is cheaper than the older XTR hose (with the banjos). It was quite interesting that the LBS in my place keeps on insisting that I need the XTR hose (with the banjos) because the SM-BH59 package indicated that it is for the Shimano M525 levers only. I ended up getting the SM-BH59 from Bikebling.com. Thanks for the answers guys. You are really a big help to me. I'll be doing my first bleed, hopefully it will be successful.