mtbr member
    Oct 2005

XTR M965 calipers with M975 brake levers

It's been a long time since I've posted here, but am an avid reader of this forum. I would contribute more but really don't have much to offer. I enjoy reading MTBR however.

I tried looking for answer to this but didn't find anything. I do know that you can mix and match Shimano brake parts, but would XTR M965 calipers work with M975 brake lever?. I've got 965 dual control levers which I want to change to M975 levers and M970 shifters but keep the M965 calipers.

Regards,

Robert

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    they should work fine... no worries..

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I have this exact set-up waiting in a box, for my next bike

Sounds like you are covered, but the one thing that was a surprise for me was that the hoses that came with the BL M975 levers wouldn't work with the 965 Calipers. This is because the hoses came with in-line fittings at both ends, but the M965 calipers require a 90d banjo.

You should be OK if you use your existing hoses, just replace the fittings at the brake lever end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I have this exact set-up waiting in a box, for my next bike

Sounds like you are covered, but the one thing that was a surprise for me was that the hoses that came with the BL M975 levers wouldn't work with the 965 Calipers. This is because the hoses came with in-line fittings at both ends, but the M965 calipers require a 90d banjo.

You should be OK if you use your existing hoses, just replace the fittings at the brake lever end.
    Thanks for the feedback. My plans were to replace the M965 duals with M975 levers and XTR rapidfire shifters, and keep the existing cables. I believe the M975 levers have the necessary hardware. Or, do I need special hardware?

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by robe
    I tried looking for answer to this but didn't find anything. I do know that you can mix and match Shimano brake parts, but would XTR M965 calipers work with M975 brake lever?. I've got 965 dual control levers which I want to change to M975 levers and M970 shifters but keep the M965 calipers.

Regards,

Robert

Would it work? Yes it would.

Does Shimano reccomend that combination, I don't think so. I can't remember all the specifics, but they don't reccomend this combination I believe due to the 970 levers having more power than the 690 levers and it could cause a problem with the seals I think. You could try calling Shimano, or see if your LBS could find out from the Shimano Rep.

Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Would it work? Yes it would.

Does Shimano reccomend that combination, I don't think so. I can't remember all the specifics, but they don't reccomend this combination I believe due to the 970 levers having more power than the 690 levers and it could cause a problem with the seals I think. You could try calling Shimano, or see if your LBS could find out from the Shimano Rep.
    IIRC, the only caliper that were mentioned to have problems with the newer generation lever were the old XTs 755 (the 4 pots)..

Personally I have a set of 775 brakes and a set of 765 calipers with 775 levers and haven't noticed any problem (but of course this is just one set...too small of a sample to draw any conclusions )

Quote Originally Posted by robe
    Thanks for the feedback. My plans were to replace the M965 duals with M975 levers and XTR rapidfire shifters, and keep the existing cables. I believe the M975 levers have the necessary hardware. Or, do I need special hardware?
    the fittings hardware usually come with the hoses.....however the hose itself is compatible, you will just need to replace the connector at the lever end (maybe cut a tiny section of hose). You should be able to get the necessary fittings (olive, insert and screw) from your LBS

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=1741

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Does Shimano reccomend that combination, I don't think so.
    From Shimanos FAQ:

How interchangeable are Shimano's hydraulic disc brake systems?
    All Shimano hydraulic disc brake systems are interchangeable. Depending on the model of the brake lever and caliper, the connections may differ and could require replacing of the hose and/or the connection fitting, but the brake levers and calipers are fully compatible.
    Robe, the fittings Crissillo posted below are correct, and are included with the hose kits that come with your levers. You can keep your existing hoses and just replace the fittings at the lever end.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    IIRC, the only caliper that were mentioned to have problems with the newer generation lever were the old XTs 755 (the 4 pots)..

Personally I have a set of 775 brakes and a set of 765 calipers with 775 levers and haven't noticed any problem (but of course this is just one set...too small of a sample to draw any conclusions )
    I believe that was with the Servowave XT levers. The XTRs do not have Servowave, just a radial MC.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    From Shimanos FAQ:

Robe, the fittings Crissillo posted below are correct, and are included with the hose kits that come with your levers. You can keep your existing hoses and just replace the fittings at the lever end.
    Crisillo, FM and everyone else - thanks for your feedback. I'll be doing this soon. It's an inexpensive way for me to go back to rapidfire, although, i don't think the duals are that bad.

Robert

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I believe that was with the Servowave XT levers. The XTRs do not have Servowave, just a radial MC.

That is what it was, Shimano (according to the Shimano rep) doesn't reccomend using the servo wave levers with any previous generation calipers (4 pot or 2) due to the power output of the lever having the ability to possibly overcome the strength and or seals of the caliper. Is it possible to mix and match, I wouldn't doubt it, would I do it, probably not.

adamant
    Sep 2006
    my personal experience with the 2008 XT calipers compared to the 2003-2007 XTR calipers is the XT have significantly more power. and the XT cost about half XTR.

you can mix & match fittings-- as others here have posted-- to use 975 levers with 965 calipers.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by adamant
    my personal experience with the 2008 XT calipers compared to the 2003-2007 XTR calipers is the XT have significantly more power.
    I'm curious as to why this might be, since the older XTR and newer XT use the same size pads and are both one-piece?

Is it possible you had organic pads on the XTR's and ran metallic on the XT's?
    Did you change levers or anything else that might have created the difference?
    I'd assume the piston size is the same.

Not disagreeing with you, just curious since I compared the two calipers recently when shopping and on paper, they seemed identical except for the finish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Kool stop disc brake pads to replace Shimano?

Which Kool Stop brake pads are replacements for Shimano XTR BR-M975 M07Ti Resin disc brake pads? Nobody lists the replacement type for the new Shimano XTR disc brakes, only the older pairs. Perhaps they are the same? I am looking for organic/resin brake pads only! Thanks!

adamant
    Sep 2006
    [QUOTE=FM]I'm curious as to why this might be, since the older XTR and newer XT use the same size pads and are both one-piece? QUOTE]

Shimano propaganda states the forging process is improved. also my theory is the straight line from hose to caliper on the 775/975 v the 90* banjo fitting on the 765/965 series makes a difference. either (any) way, just my personal experience the x75 series are an improvement....comparison w/same pads.

Last weekend i rode both my old bike (2004 Specialized Enduro w/ 965 calipers and 965 dual control) and new bike (2008 Enduro SL with 775 calipers and 975 dual control) and the difference was noticable....both my bro and i commented on the x75 stuff being more powerful....we were riding UPS-LPS-Porcupine.