mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Are XTR M900 levers V-brake compatible?

I am building a bike up with some older XTR M900 gear, but recalled that the XTR M900 levers may not be V-brake compatible. I'm sure someone must know.

Lightweight Ghost Rider
    I'm pretty sure that the M900 levers are only cantilever compatible and that XTR v-brakes were only available from 1996 in the M950 series. Also, those M900 levers are STI grips right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes and no....

While the M900 levers are not v-brake compatible, I believe QBP sells a little item that is called travel agent (correct me if I am wrong). It looks a lot like the old avid rollamajig and is designed to allow you to use your cantilever levers w/v-brakes. The downside is they retail for around 20 bucks a piece. Which is a fairly high incremental cost just to make your old levers compatible with newer brakes, albeit a cheaper alternative to purchasing new v-brake levers, and shifters (if it is a combo which i assume it is). I don't know the long term durability,etc. of the aforementioned product, as I have never used them first hand, but if you have the brakes, and have the levers you might want to give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by XC_Miles
    While the M900 levers are not v-brake compatible, I believe QBP sells a little item that is called travel agent (correct me if I am wrong). It looks a lot like the old avid rollamajig and is designed to allow you to use your cantilever levers w/v-brakes. The downside is they retail for around 20 bucks a piece. Which is a fairly high incremental cost just to make your old levers compatible with newer brakes, albeit a cheaper alternative to purchasing new v-brake levers, and shifters (if it is a combo which i assume it is). I don't know the long term durability,etc. of the aforementioned product, as I have never used them first hand, but if you have the brakes, and have the levers you might want to give it a shot.
    I just had the old XTR levers and rear derailer sitting around and wanted to use them on a cruiser project. I will probably go an avid v-brake and speed dial lever up front and a good set of canti's on the rear with the old XTR levers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdixon
    I just had the old XTR levers and rear derailer sitting around and wanted to use them on a cruiser project. I will probably go an avid v-brake and speed dial lever up front and a good set of canti's on the rear with the old XTR levers.
    the old xtr levers are not suggested for use with a travel agent.
    i have used those levers with v-brakes before. it can be done if...
    -you are willing to live with little rim clearance.
    -you don't ride where it's wet, because if you do, even a small amount of pad wear will allow the brake levers to come to the bar without getting the pads to the rim.
    -you don't mind a smooshy-feeling brake.
    the upside? the brakes, because of the huge leverage od the canti levers, will have ungodly stopping power. but again, you've gotta like mush, not ride in the wet, not need lots of rim clearance, and be ready to retighten the cable more often than you might be used to.
    tim

viva la v-brakes!

canti

dgdixon, don't be afraid to just go canti. They're just as stong as V's if you set them up right. You seem to be on the right track.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.