mtbr member

XTR m-975 stopping power for freeride?

Do you guys think the xtr brake system would be a good choice for freeride or easy downhill type riding? Im also looking at the Hayes trail, Magura Louise bat and formula oro k24. I would love to hear from anyone who could help me decide which way to go. I'm running hayes 9 with 8" rotors now.

Thanks

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well XTR are meant as a XC Racing brake. You could fit big rotors but they weren't designed for FR/DH type riding applications so they wouldn't be the best. I'd look at M775 XTs before I'd look at the XTRs for your application. I have the XTs on one of my bikes and they are a powerful brake with good modulation and they have been problem free for nearly 2 years now.
    Of the other brakes you mention - I have used Stroker Trails on friends' bikes, they are a good powerful brake esp in 8" rotor size. They can be a bit tough to get setup rub free. They can be noisy and some people don't get on with their modulation.
    I have Louise BATs (180mm F&R) on another one of my bikes. Personally, I prefer these to the Strokers as IME they modulate better, are easier to setup and are virtually noise free for me. I find that they have more usable power than the Strokers for the same size rotors. They do take a long time to run in pads/rotors when new, patience is definitely required but it is worth it.
    Personally I haven't used Formulas, in fact very few people around here use them as the spares are too expensive and scarce and for some people they have been troublesome.

Good luck, hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Isn't freeride just trailriding on a 5"+ bike? I think you'll be fine with whatever brake you pick.

mtbr member
    DGB, Thanks for the good information. You are right about the xtr and xt brakes. I had a set of the old xt 755's with the 4 piston calipers and I loved them. The rear developed a small leak in one of the piston seals and I was never able to find a rebuild kit. I still have them and would like to find a kit to use them on another bike. They look like the saint calipers. I wonder if they share a rebuild kit? Looks like I'm leaning toward the Magura.

Yater, True on the freeride type riding. I just dont want to get into some rides that are long down hills and have brakes that fade or overheat. I would rather over kill than worry.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by geinsteder
    DGB, Thanks for the good information. You are right about the xtr and xt brakes. I had a set of the old xt 755's with the 4 piston calipers and I loved them. The rear developed a small leak in one of the piston seals and I was never able to find a rebuild kit. I still have them and would like to find a kit to use them on another bike. They look like the saint calipers. I wonder if they share a rebuild kit? Looks like I'm leaning toward the Magura.

Yater, True on the freeride type riding. I just dont want to get into some rides that are long down hills and have brakes that fade or overheat. I would rather over kill than worry.

Thanks
    shimano doesnt sell rebuild kits but the do have a killer warranty program, I ve gotten 3 replacement calipers over the years

also the xtrs are fine for free riding, just put the proper rotor size on

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I've got two sets of XT M755 4-pots and also a set of new XTR M975's, all with the same size rotors. The old M755's smoke the newer XTR's in every aspect- except weight. More power, better modulation, etc etc.

The nice thing about shimanos is they are all basically interchangeable if you have the right fittings for your hoses (which can be found with a little homework).

So... my advice is keep your current M755's and replace the leaking rear caliper only with either a new or old XT. New XT and XTR calipers are functionally identical, finish and levers are the only difference, so not much point in paying extra for XTR.

mtbr member
    What do you think the chances of me still warranting the caliper with shimano? All it needs is one piston seal. That sucks that one little seal leaks and you cant get a replacement. I just saw a set sell on e-bay for $100.00.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Not sure about the warranty. I presume they would give you a new version XT as a replacement? Maybe Dan0 knows.

They do occasionally sell cheaply, so it might be worth picking up a second used set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I run the XTR975 brakes for XC use. I'd recommend against them for DH/FR use of any sort, even with larger rotors - they just don't quite cut it. However, I don't think it's a Shimano problem, just an XTR is designed as a pure lightweight XC race brake. Try the Shimano XT or even the Saint, I think those would be cherry for what you're looking for.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    The saint system is sweet.