Ride Everything

XTR lever question (cable version)

I tried searching on "XTR," but it's only three letters, and you need four...

Anyhoo... do the XTR levers have Speed Dial-like modulation adjusters? I've looked at the exploded diagrams, but I can't tell for sure.

the catalan connection

Kind of

they have servo wave. Do the same as the avid speed dial (change the ratio between hand input force at the lever and cable pulling force towards the brake arms) Well, just an adjustable anchor point cable end at the lever .

In the 950 series was adjustable.You could set the leverage point you wanted by screwing in a tiny silver piece that would leave the cable wire hook unit (where the brake cable round end end fits at the lever) move further in when depressing the lever thus increasing the leverage output force. In fact, you just were opening a wider slot along which the cable wire hook pivot unit would slide back and forth as you brake. This is IMO a nicer way than the speed dial becouse when not braking, tha cable rests at full length, leaving more pad clearance. In the avids, if you want full leverage, you might find the pads to close to the rim all the time. Could even have trouble releasing the noodle for wheel removal.

The 960 (dual control) had the same servo wave thing but not adjustable. You just remove a plastic stopper set from the factory that locks the wire hook unit in place. Once removed, you leave a full length slot along which the cable hook will move.Not so nicely made as the older 950.

The "new" 970 are apparently the same as the 950, so they might be the same in that aspect as well, but Im not 100% sure

Hope helped
    Last edited by What&son; 03-06-2007 at 10:22 AM.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Ride Everything
    Thanks for the info. I think the 970 series has the plastic block similar to the 960s; see:
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608744.pdf
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830600525.pdf

I'm looking for some adjustable-leverage levers to pair with my BB7 mechanical discs. I'm currently running SD-7s, but there's some slop in the cable carrier piece.

the catalan connection
    No, they are exactly as the 950s. That plastic is for locking (if any locking needed) the standard non extra leverage position, but if you zoom youll see a nut with a grooved head built in there. That can be screwed in and make the slot larger. As you probably already suspected they are not as easy to set as the speed dials, but i liked them more as mentioned in my first answer. Used with disc calipers will leave more pad clearance when at rest, which is greatly desired sometimes
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Bite Me.
    Ditto - Shimano installs the pitch fixing block in the factory to eliminate the adjustment feature and make the brakes "safer" for riders. They warn you in the tech literature that removing the blocks and adjusting the pitch screw adds power and you could fly over the handle bars and die! I like to completely remove the pitch fixing block and adjust the set screw to its most retracted position (or remove it all together). The cable mount then can slide freely in the lever, giving you progressively more power/leverage as you pull the lever. The result is a superbly modulated lever feel that works great with the BB7 brake. I think it gives a better feel than the SD7 lever over the full range of the brake stroke, although the SD7s feel pretty nice too.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells