mtbr member

New question here. XTR front brake caliper with 203mm rotor?

I've got an Intense 5point5 and I've just ordered a Manitou Nixon to replace my Minute 3. I'm thinking of putting a XT centre lock 203mm rotor on the front wheel and useing my XTR caliper, with spacer of course. My standard 160mm front brake squeels like a stuck pig when it gets hot on long descents. I'm quite heavy at 210lbs. I've never had an 8" brake on a bike before but I'm aware of the advantages and would like to give it a try. Is there any reason I shouldn't use this setup? Also are there any disadvantages in useing an 8" rotor that I'm not aware of?

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    I'm using a 203 rotor (6 bolt) with an XT caliper which is the same basically as your XTR.
    You'll love the increased braking power. No disadvantages whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    I've got an Intense 5point5 and I've just ordered a Manitou Nixon to replace my Minute 3. I'm thinking of putting a XT centre lock 203mm rotor on the front wheel and useing my XTR caliper, with spacer of course. My standard 160mm front brake squeels like a stuck pig when it gets hot on long descents. I'm quite heavy at 210lbs. I've never had an 8" brake on a bike before but I'm aware of the advantages and would like to give it a try. Is there any reason I shouldn't use this setup? Also are there any disadvantages in useing an 8" rotor that I'm not aware of?

Ronnie.

Chrome Toaster
    Will work fine. Just get the right adapter. The XT as you can tell comes with 8" rotors as well and the only difference between them is some more material is removed from the XTR body.

mtbr member
    Be aware however if you use the 203 mm rotor and a Nixon without the 20mm axle, your warrenty will be null and void if Manitou becomes aware of it during a warranty issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    Will work fine. Just get the right adapter. The XT as you can tell comes with 8" rotors as well and the only difference between them is some more material is removed from the XTR body.

mtbr member
    I specifically called Manitou on the issue of useing a 203mm. with my Nixon and was told that it is no problem.

Ronnie.

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    Be aware however if you use the 203 mm rotor and a Nixon without the 20mm axle, your warrenty will be null and void if Manitou becomes aware of it during a warranty issue.
    I don't know where you heard this but Manitou certifies that all their 30mm+ stanchion forks are allowed to run 203mm rotors, with or without thru-axles.

mtbr member
    I fitted the new front XT rotor yesterday With a Shimano 203mm post mount adaptor. It looks really neat. I took it out for a spin and it feels great. Good modulation and no more squealing although I still need to get it hot on a long downhill. I suppose it will get a bit better when it been used a bit more. The thing that bothers me a bit now is that the bike looks a bit odd with the 160mm on the back. Would it be overkill putting a 203mm on the back as well and more importantly, would it tend to lock up to easily? Would it be a case of just getting used to a more powerfull brake? I'd appreciate any opinions.
    Thanks,

Ronnie.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I fitted the new front XT rotor yesterday With a Shimano 203mm post mount adaptor. It looks really neat. I took it out for a spin and it feels great. Good modulation and no more squealing although I still need to get it hot on a long downhill. I suppose it will get a bit better when it been used a bit more. The thing that bothers me a bit now is that the bike looks a bit odd with the 160mm on the back. Would it be overkill putting a 203mm on the back as well and more importantly, would it tend to lock up to easily? Would it be a case of just getting used to a more powerfull brake? I'd appreciate any opinions.
    Thanks,

Ronnie.
    I'm interested in where you got the adaptor. I've got a IS mount XTR that I would like to change to a bigger rotor (maybe not 203 big, but bigger than the 160). What adaptor do I need?

Chrome Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    I'm interested in where you got the adaptor. I've got a IS mount XTR that I would like to change to a bigger rotor (maybe not 203 big, but bigger than the 160). What adaptor do I need?
    You can put a rear IS XTR caliper on the front and it will convert it to 180mm. Put the front in the rear and it will be 140mm.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    You can put a rear IS XTR caliper on the front and it will convert it to 180mm. Put the front in the rear and it will be 140mm.
    Yeah that is a problem though....

I run an Avid Mech in the rear, so it isn't that easy, hence the need of an adaptor (if such thing exists).

How does 140mm in the rear work? I've never heard of a 140mm rotor.

mtbr member
    I live in Switzerland and I have an online guy who seems to have all those sorts of parts. I'll give you a link to the relevant parts. They are all from Shimano. It is in German which I have a basic knowledge of but it has pictures of the various adaptors and the basic description you should be able to understand. Click on the picture to get an enlarged view and you should be able to work out what you need. You could give the part number to a Shimano dealer and if he doesn't have it, could order it for you.

www.bike-import.ch

Click on: Bremsscheiben / Adapter / Zubehör

Vorderrad means front wheel
    Hinterrad means rear wheel

Hope this helps.

Ronnie.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    I live in Switzerland and I have an online guy who seems to have all those sorts of parts. I'll give you a link to the relevant parts. They are all from Shimano. It is in German which I have a basic knowledge of but it has pictures of the various adaptors and the basic description you should be able to understand. Click on the picture to get an enlarged view and you should be able to work out what you need. You could give the part number to a Shimano dealer and if he doesn't have it, could order it for you.

www.bike-import.ch

Click on: Bremsscheiben / Adapter / Zubehör

Vorderrad means front wheel
    Hinterrad means rear wheel

Hope this helps.

Ronnie.
    Cool, thanks for the link. It at least shows me a pic of the adaptor I need. Looks like the Post mount adaptors are easier/more plentiful to convert to 185/203 but I think I saw an IS adaptor to do the conversion to 185.

mtbr member
    I just had a quick look through for you and it doesn't look like there is any other than a 203mm adaptor from Shimano. They only make 160mm or 203mm discs. I had a look at their website. Its not really such a big deal going to the 203mm. Its only 20mm (0.8") further away from the axle than a 160mm. If you went for a 203 you would need the adaptor # SM-MA-F203S/S. IS to IS.

mtbr member

Thanks for the info Ronnie...

I'll be putting an XT 8" rotor on an '05 Fox TALAS RLC fork and thought that that specific Shimano adaptor part was what I needed to mount my XTR caliper.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Jdub]I'm interested in where you got the adaptor. [QUOTE]
    Go-ride has adaptors: Shimano IS 8" Rotor $40, Gravity Racing Front IS 8" adapter $26. You can also search for the Grimeca rotors and adaptors as they also fit.

Wombat

Bikeaddict
    Apr 2004

Brilliant

I've done this and it gives brilliant stopping power and modulation and the extra weight is about 100g (60g extra for the 203mm rotor and plus 40g for the adapter and bolts) which is only about 50g more than the difference between the XT caliper and the XTR. Brilliant upgrade, especially for anything more XC than racing and anyone over 175lbs!!!

mtbr member
    Hi,
    Thanks, I have since gone ahead and put 203mm centre lock rotors on the back and the front. I fully agree with you the braking is great. The back is a bit of over kill but what the hell! I can brake with one finger and my hands are always firmly on the grips. The weight was never much of a concern.

Ronnie.