mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004

XTR disc rotor with Deore M555 brakes compatibility?

Changed my wheelset from Mavic TXC 3.1 24-spoke UST disc with Hugi 240 to Shimano WH-M965 24-spoke with XTR hubs.

Probably saved about 350 grams over the previous above mentioned wheelset.

Question is I had to use the XTR rotors due to Shimano's centre lock system. Will running XTR rotors have any effects on Deore M555 caliper?

I would think not but just wanted your comments and input.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Congratulations on the new wheelset. I'm sure you will like it. Sorry I can't help with your question.

In a previous post you mentioned that the XTR wheelset was 2200 RM inclusive of rotors. Can I ask which bikeshop you use. I paid 2400 RM plus rotors early December in KL.

Thanks

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W6VX
    Changed my wheelset from Mavic TXC 3.1 24-spoke UST disc with Hugi 240 to Shimano WH-M965 24-spoke with XTR hubs.

Probably saved about 350 grams over the previous above mentioned wheelset.

Question is I had to use the XTR rotors due to Shimano's centre lock system. Will running XTR rotors have any effects on Deore M555 caliper?

I would think not but just wanted your comments and input.

Thanks.
    It shouldn't. The rotors should be the same size, and should have a very similar brake track. I use 6 bolt XT rotors on my XTR disc brake, no problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    It shouldn't. The rotors should be the same size, and should have a very similar brake track. I use 6 bolt XT rotors on my XTR disc brake, no problems.
    Actually the deore are the black sheep of the shimano family and have a different brake track. I have a friend running deore on XT centerlock rotors and his braking performance degraded severly compared to using the deore rotors.

I agree that LX/XT/XTR brakes/rotors are interchangable but deore seems to be the exception.

Get out of town!
    The Deore M555 calipers came stock on my bike as did XT rotors and they work great. I would think an XTR rotor would work just as well?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsnk1975
    The Deore M555 calipers came stock on my bike as did XT rotors and they work great. I would think an XTR rotor would work just as well?

Me too, but Ive heard others having issues w/the combo and the fix was sitching to the heavier/uglier deores. Personally Ive had no probs

wayne
    89 Univega HT -???-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -stolen-
    92 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    94 Specd SJ HT M2 -sold-
    97 Klien Mantra -sold-
    01 Specd enduro FSR
    02 Specd enduro FSR -sold-
    04 Specd stumpjumper FSR
    05 Specd enduro FSR Sworks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The 2004 Stumpjumper FSR Experts came stock with the Deore M555 calipers and XT rotors.

My wife has this bike. She rode it for awhile with the stock wheelset, but is currently running a newer set of wheels that I bought used with XTR rotors.

Being a pretty cautious rider, one of the the things she pays the most attention to is how her brakes work. She says her brakes work great with the XTR rotors.

mtbr member&ham operator
    Jul 2004
    Thanks all for the replies.

Mixed comments but I'll take it as affirmative as my initial feel for the Deore M555 with XTR rotors seems positive except for the squealing sound when you apply the brakes. That already happenned when I was using the original rotor of the M555.

Will post here if I feel the M555/XTR rotor combination brakes are not holding up! hi...hi...

Cheerio!

born again

XT rotors are thinner than deore rotors

Quote Originally Posted by 9W6VX
    Thanks all for the replies.

Mixed comments but I'll take it as affirmative as my initial feel for the Deore M555 with XTR rotors seems positive except for the squealing sound when you apply the brakes. That already happenned when I was using the original rotor of the M555.

Will post here if I feel the M555/XTR rotor combination brakes are not holding up! hi...hi...

Cheerio!
    I switched the rt-60 stock (heavy) to rt-70 XT rotors on my 555's but switched back to the original in the front because it squealed like a dying pig constantly even dry...The rear is fine. I'm thinking the thinner diameter makes it vibrate and squeal so badly. These 555's have been exceptional brakes I guess I just have to put up with the stock rotor up front.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!