mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XTR Disc Pads Rubbing

How do I get my pads to retract further from the rotor, they are suddenly rubbing very badly? I am running XTR disc calipers and rotors. Thanks.

I have tried remoivng the pads, and going through the procedures outlined in the Shimano document to correct rubbing pads to no avail, any suggestions?
    Last edited by XC_Miles; 02-09-2005 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Are the calipers centered on the rotors. If so maybe you have sticky pistons.

take out the pads, pump the brake CAREFULLY to extend the pistons EVENLY, use a screwdriver between the pistons to make sure they extend uniformly and one piston does not popout. Then wipe the pistons and squirt a bit of triflow on them . Work them a bit and you should be ok.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by heatstroke
    Are the calipers centered on the rotors. If so maybe you have sticky pistons.

take out the pads, pump the brake CAREFULLY to extend the pistons EVENLY, use a screwdriver between the pistons to make sure they extend uniformly and one piston does not popout. Then wipe the pistons and squirt a bit of triflow on them . Work them a bit and you should be ok.
    I do it just about the same, except I let only one piston extend, that way I can clean a bit more of the shaft, lube it with Triflow or some of Shimano's mineral oil.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    I do it just about the same, except I let only one piston extend, that way I can clean a bit more of the shaft, lube it with Triflow or some of Shimano's mineral oil.
    Yeah that is how I do it as well. However, once I did it once time I haven't had the problem again. Knocking on wood now....

I already rode that
    Yeah I did that too but it only lasted so long. The front is acting up again to the point the piston needs a good pry to move.

mtbr member

Mine does the same thing..

and I go through the steps to clean and lube the calipers like everyone has posted. However, I go through an extra step right before installing the wheels/rotor. I take the orange spacer and insert into the caliper. Then I squeeze the lever pretty hard about 5 to 10 times then install the wheel/rotor, squeeze the lever hard a few more times to reset to the rotor. If that doesn't work and it still rubs, I use the spacers. If that doesn't work, time to warranty those sticky calipers...

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    and I go through the steps to clean and lube the calipers like everyone has posted. However, I go through an extra step right before installing the wheels/rotor. I take the orange spacer and insert into the caliper. Then I squeeze the lever pretty hard about 5 to 10 times then install the wheel/rotor, squeeze the lever hard a few more times to reset to the rotor. If that doesn't work and it still rubs, I use the spacers. If that doesn't work, time to warranty those sticky calipers...
    I did a similar thing....but finally had to have them both waranteed......these worked for a while.......then needed to start doing the same thing.....by the time I got tired of fussing with them I decided to go larger rotors and replaced the set anyway. Having said that, I like their power and modulation.