nimble biker

New question here. XTR disc brakes calipers 2003 vs 2004 ?

How do I differentiate between XTR disc brakes from 2003 vs 2004 models? I know that when Shimano first released XTR disc brake to the market, there was a problem with pad rubbing each other. Shimano fix the problem in 2004. I am wondering if there is a way of visual inspection of the calipers to find out if I actually buying the 2004 instead of 2003 ?

My LBS has XTR disc brake but I don't know if it is 2003 or 2004.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    How do I differentiate between XTR disc brakes from 2003 vs 2004 models? I know that when Shimano first released XTR disc brake to the market, there was a problem with pad rubbing each other. Shimano fix the problem in 2004. I am wondering if there is a way of visual inspection of the calipers to find out if I actually buying the 2004 instead of 2003 ?

My LBS has XTR disc brake but I don't know if it is 2003 or 2004.
    Yes, there is a noticeable difference between the two. I had a set of '03s and had the sticky piston syndrome, which was warrantied by Shimano, but it came back. I sold the XTRs and went with some Magura Marta SLs instead. Much, much better.

At any rate, while racing in the TransRockies, I was talking with a very knowledgeble shop guy about brakes, etc. We eventually got onto the topic of XTRs and I told him about my probs...he knew all about them. Then, he showed me his XTRs. The bridge that connects the two caliper halves is much taller/fatter on the newer XTRs. Some of the problem in the original XTRs was the the hole, which allows fluid to move between the two halves, was made too small so the fluid could not flow freely between the halves. The taller/fatter bridge on the newer XTRs allow for a larger diameter hole.

Knowing that, I looked at my XTRs which were warrantied by Shimano and they still had the old style caliper. So, it would make sense that the problem happened again on my new calipers. My buddy (who now owns the XTRs) is going to warranty them again and, hopefully, will get the new caliper.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com