mtbr member
    Mar 2004

XTR disc brake problem: jerky feeling.

I am new to the disc brake world. I have brand new XTR calipers and XT rotors on a Spider XVP, and have taken it on two 1 1/2 hour rides so far. This morning I noticed that during hard braking on the front, the bike lurches with every rotation of the wheel. Would this be a warped rotor, or something else?

Thanks.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by headlands
    I am new to the disc brake world. I have brand new XTR calipers and XT rotors on a Spider XVP, and have taken it on two 1 1/2 hour rides so far. This morning I noticed that during hard braking on the front, the bike lurches with every rotation of the wheel. Would this be a warped rotor, or something else?

Thanks.
    I've used XTRs for ~5 months. It certainly sounds like you might have a warped rotor. Pull up the front-end and give the wheel a spin. Does the rotor look OK? If not, you can gently tweak it back using a wrench.

If the rotor is straight, then something else is the issue. Let me know how the rotor looks and we'll go from there.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rotor is not warped...

Thanks for your help, Mike.

Just checked the rotor and it's straight as an arrow. Also, the alignment of the rotor with the pads seems good, as well. Went for a quick ride after re-seating the wheel and the jerkiness is still there. What do you think?

Would this possibly have anything to do with the break-in period?

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    I've used XTRs for ~5 months. It certainly sounds like you might have a warped rotor. Pull up the front-end and give the wheel a spin. Does the rotor look OK? If not, you can gently tweak it back using a wrench.

If the rotor is straight, then something else is the issue. Let me know how the rotor looks and we'll go from there.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by headlands
    Thanks for your help, Mike.

Just checked the rotor and it's straight as an arrow. Also, the alignment of the rotor with the pads seems good, as well. Went for a quick ride after re-seating the wheel and the jerkiness is still there. What do you think?

Would this possibly have anything to do with the break-in period?
    So, these are brand-new brakes and you've broken them in for about 3 hrs. Depending on your riding conditions (dry vs mud), weight (135lbs vs 235lbs), the break-in period may be short or long. This may be part of your problem and it could be just a matter of time before the brakes are working smoothly.

Pull the pads out of the caliper and check them for uneven wear, grooves, pits, etc. Also, check your rotor for cleanliness...you might have some contamination (brake fluid, finger prints, etc.) that could be causing the pulsating. Give the rotor a thorough cleaning with a clean wrag and some rubbing alcohol.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Baked Alaskan

Yo Mike, did you give up on the XTR's???

Just wondering how your saga with the XTR's panned out. Did you get them warrantied or did you just finally give up? If so, what are you moving to? Just wondering....

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Just wondering how your saga with the XTR's panned out. Did you get them warrantied or did you just finally give up? If so, what are you moving to? Just wondering....
    Once I had some downtime in Jan, I pulled the brakes off and had my LBS warranty them with Shimano Canada. I included a detailed letter outlining the problem and everything I did to fix it. 3 weeks later, I got my brakes back with a set of brand new calipers. I only got 1 ride on them and they *seemed* fine....a buddy of mine is now riding them.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)