mtbr member
    Aug 2007

XTR Disc brake: metal or resin pads ?

My bike is equipped with a set of XTR disc brakes. I'm wondering what's the best to use as pads: with metal or with resin ? What's the main difference between both ?

Thanks for answer !

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I prefer metal, they are a little noisier, but last longer and provide more bite....

mtbr member
    i use one of each per caliper. less noise and about equal power. i've been checking pad wear every couple of weeks and so far, i've been getting even wear.. however, i've been riding in dry conditions so your results may vary... i think cris rides in wetter conditions so the metal pads are probably better for that environment...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    When I look on the Shimano list of parts diagram for the brake disc, they show one of each type on each caliper. I just don't know if it's just to show that both types exist, or it was the real original setup.

Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    i think cris rides in wetter conditions so the metal pads are probably better for that environment...
    ditto!
    not super wet, but wet enough to make the resin pads go fast

Quote Originally Posted by seaman
    When I look on the Shimano list of parts diagram for the brake disc, they show one of each type on each caliper. I just don't know if it's just to show that both types exist, or it was the real original setup.
    I think they do it to show compatibility..... AFAIK, the come with a pair of one or the other but not mixed

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So I'm better to use metal pad if I'm running mostly in wet or mud conditions ?

Quote Originally Posted by seaman
    So I'm better to use metal pad if I'm running mostly in wet or mud conditions ?
    I'd say so.... they will last longer at the very least

No Tail-Just a Nub

best place to get resin pads?

good deals out there? what are they costing?

also, I have heard some folks suggest resin if you are having piston sticking prob's on the xtr's (that's me)--what is the reasoning here?
    (insert favorite Ed Abbey quote here)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    For the deals, on ebay I've seen them both (resin or Metal) for about 20$ US+10$US for shipping. Here on my local bike store, they cost about 34$ Can+tax, so roughly about 35$ US.....I'm not sure if I'll buy on ebay this time.

You must also take in account that if you buy more than one pair, the shipping will be only 2$ US, so you save some more. We always need to have some spare pads, and to fill in the bike we need at least 2 pairs.

mtbr member

What about ceramic?

I am also looking at replacing my the pads on my Shimano XTR (BR-M975 - I've been using the stop pads so far) and this thread is very timely.

Question to the folks using metallic pads:

Is performance when cold a problem (that's an issue for car brakes)? I'd be concerned if it is, as I can see the scenario of a long climb where the brakes have plenty of time to cool off followed up with a technical section requiring a jump on the brakes...

My understanding of metallic vs. resin is:

Metal:
    Pros:
    - better stopping power
    - better wear (i.e. less), especially in wet weather
    Cons
    - more noise (what type, squeal or just friction?)
    - run hotter (which might be a problem depending on how sensitive the heating the caliper is).
    - more $

Resin
    Pros
    - Cheaper
    - Run cooler
    - Less noise
    Cons
    - faster wear (especially in wet weather)
    - Not as much braking power as metal

What about the ceramic sintered pads (like the Alligator offered by PricePoint)

On a side note, the whole XTR (975) brakes have been a letdown so far : between the sticky pistons, overheating, need of constant bleeding, uneven pad wear, un-even brake lever feel / adjustment, shim alignment, etc, they need constant attention. Since I can't afford a pair of Formula Oro Puro quite yet, they'll have to do for the near future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    According to the bike shop where I live, the resin has not much advantage.....they don't last long enough, and in mud the wear very quickly ! About the price difference, on ebay there's not much difference.

I believe I'll go for the metallic ones. I'm just wondering what kind of noise they do, and if the noise is increasing in wet conditions...

No Tail-Just a Nub

let-down

Quote Originally Posted by Denis

On a side note, the whole XTR (975) brakes have been a letdown so far : between the sticky pistons, overheating, need of constant bleeding, uneven pad wear, un-even brake lever feel / adjustment, shim alignment, etc, they need constant attention. Since I can't afford a pair of Formula Oro Puro quite yet, they'll have to do for the near future.
    I hear ya on the general let-down...pretty sad/funny/maddening to be saying "wish I could afford some decent brakes, since all I have is this XTR cr@p." (though mostly funny for all the Shimano-is-the-devil zealots My issues are basically limited to sticking pistons on my 975's, which is enough of a pain/let down. I pretty much love the rest (when they work). My rear caliper is in the mail to Shimano right now.
    (insert favorite Ed Abbey quote here)

bummer on the sticky xtrs.... I have had LXs and XTs...and happy for the last couple of years...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is there a topic about "how to maintain the XTR calipers" ? I'm wondering if there is any preventive maintenance that can be done to avoid the piston's sticking issue ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Update on my choice:

I bought 2 sets of Metallic XTR pads on ebay, so I can change the pads of my whole bike (front and rear).

Total cost including shipping: 51.83$ US

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Listen! Deore m416a resin disc brakes.

Hey just came across this form talking about resin or metal pads. I live in the UK (the wettest country i think) Iv started riding again after having a ten year gap so im probba confused on how to set my brakes up.

Atm iv got resin pad + rotor setup but heard theres a metal too. Notice a couple of times there is a squeak noise on metal? Is this more noticeable? As my rear brake is started to squeak abit i think iv got wet or summit my bike is only 1wk old aswell

Another thing everywhere states that you have to be careful of grease/water/dirt on resin pads is this so on metal pads?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I like the firmer lever feel of metal pads / the more initial bite they provide on the XTRs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey if i change my pads to metal one do i have to change the rotors too?