mtbr member

xtr disc brake bleeding question

Just got another bike, and it has 2007 xtr disc brakes and levers. They are currently set up with the front brake on the left and the rear brake on the right (conventional bicycle setup). I want to switch them so the front brake is activated by the right hand lever and the rear brake by the left hand lever (motorcycle style). Im assuming they will need bleeding after changing the brake lines. How difficult will this be? Im fairly mehanically inclined, but have never bled bicycle brakes.
    Thanks in advance!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    if you do it right.. don't wiggle the hoses much..you should be able to do it without a bleed... if you then need to bleed... no worries it is not hard..... just follow shimano's instructions... or just keep wiggling the caliper and hose for the bubbles to come up to the reservoir...

Meh.
    As crisillo said, if you're very careful and don't leak much fluid and don't pull the lever, you might be able to get away without bleeding. Any air will just go into the reservoir. Little to no fluid should come out the hose end because it's still sealed at the caliper end (think finger over the tip of a straw).

But if you must bleed, Shimano brakes are very easy.

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch for the advice guys - I switched the lines and did not need to bleed them. It took me about 5 minutes.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    well done DonH!