mtbr member
    Jul 2006

XTR can't reach levers, options?

I have 2010 XTR brakes, super short fingers (men small glove size) and I run gripshift. After repeated problems with Avid brakes I love my XTR other than the lever handles are just too short in this combination. I also run Ergon grips which are rather wide, that might be part of the problem. I have considered sawing off part of the grip to move it towards the stem.

The reach problem is primarily because my hands are too far to the side combined with my short finger reach. If I move inboard a bit, that works, but that's not where I ride normally.

I have bad thumbs so it is isn't easy for me to run any other shifting system. And my wrists are so bad I was told not to mtb anymore, but ergons fixed that (with 661 wrist braces). Yeah, I'm old and broken but I want to ride! I'm riding a ton more post injury and I've moved to a rather hilly place so this has become much more of an issue.

Are there longer levers out there? Or do I have to run SRAM brakes to work with gripshift (9 speed)?

I tried to search a little, but came up empty. Thanks for any advice/suggestions. I do love these XTR brakes, they have been better than anything I've run in a while as far as not needing to be bled and so on.

mtbr member
    I've done the same thing regarding my Ergon grips. I cut off about 3/4" from the inboard side so I could fit the thumb shifters, brake levers and remote seatpost control.

Picture Unrelated
    Did you try the reach adjustment? It will bring the lever in toward the bar more. I can't recall in particular with the XTR lever but it's either a little allen key or if it's like my '10 XT brakes there's a really obvious knob for it.

If that doesn't do it then I'm not sure what to tell you. I haven't found aftermarket levers for Shimano brakes in my searching; something to do with the construction of the lever and built in bushings or something.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    I know that there are options for swapping the levers out on the XT brakes so you can have the 1 finger model or a 2/3 finger model for more touring setups.

Are you more concerned about needing a longer lever or shorter reach to the lever? The XTRs should have reach adjustment to bring the lever closer to the bar.

mtbr member
    These are the best Shimano levers I've found to run with gripshifters.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/xt...ft-784805.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I've adjusted distance to the bars somewhat, it's more the total length of the lever so those 'trekking' levers look like they might be the ticket. Thanks SteveF -- that first picture in your thread referenced above describes the problem well. I should have taken a picture!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    These are the best Shimano levers I've found to run with gripshifters.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/xt...ft-784805.html
    Those are exactly what I was thinking of with my post, good that you were able to chime in and help.