(aka SS_MB-7)

Bonking ... not feelin' well XTR calipers need warrantying yet again

As some of you know, I was on a set of XTR/XT discs last season (Sept - Jan). For the first 4-6 weeks, the brakes were fantastic. Then, the infamous SPS (sticky piston syndrome) started to occur....first in the front and then the rear. Despite all my best efforts to remedy the SPS, nothing worked. This included lubing the pistons/seals with a light lube (as recommended by Shimano USA), cleaning the pistons with White Lightning Clean Streak and NOT lubing (as recommended by Shimano Canada), etc....nothing worked. So, once I had some downtime, the brakes were sent back to Shimano Canada for warranty. I received 2 new calipers.

Without evening trying the new calipers, I sold the brakeset to a riding buddy. Similarly, for the first 4-6 weeks, the brakes were great...until last week. Now, the SPS has returned to the warrantied calipers and it looks like they'll be going back to Shimano yet again for the same issue. What a pain!

Fortunately, my buddy has a back-up set of Magura Louise he can use in the interim, but I'm not holding-out too much hope since there is a severe issue with getting anything Shimano right now.

I'm curious if others who have had their brakes warrantied due to SPS have had similar, re-occuring issues with their new, warrantied calipers?
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

just sent my XTR calipers out last week,

shimano hq is only a 1 hour drive from me, but i just mailed my calipers to them...be sure to tell your buddy to send only the caliper, nothing else. they quoted a 3-4 day turn around, but if i recall, you waited about 2-3 weeks, right?

my xtr discs worked great for a long time, and then the sps came, i tried everything like you but it never made a difference. i ended up riding them for about 1 month, then got a set of hope mono minis...what a breath of fresh air!!!

let's see how much shimano is on my warranty. the better replace those suckas quick.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    As some of you know, I was on a set of XTR/XT discs last season (Sept - Jan). For the first 4-6 weeks, the brakes were fantastic. Then, the infamous SPS (sticky piston syndrome) started to occur....first in the front and then the rear. Despite all my best efforts to remedy the SPS, nothing worked. This included lubing the pistons/seals with a light lube (as recommended by Shimano USA), cleaning the pistons with White Lightning Clean Streak and NOT lubing (as recommended by Shimano Canada), etc....nothing worked. So, once I had some downtime, the brakes were sent back to Shimano Canada for warranty. I received 2 new calipers.

Without evening trying the new calipers, I sold the brakeset to a riding buddy. Similarly, for the first 4-6 weeks, the brakes were great...until last week. Now, the SPS has returned to the warrantied calipers and it looks like they'll be going back to Shimano yet again for the same issue. What a pain!

Fortunately, my buddy has a back-up set of Magura Louise he can use in the interim, but I'm not holding-out too much hope since there is a severe issue with getting anything Shimano right now.

I'm curious if others who have had their brakes warrantied due to SPS have had similar, re-occuring issues with their new, warrantied calipers?

I already rode that
    Mine are sometimes getting the SPS but usually when I clean them or at the most push them out so far to get some oil out of them then push them back in and rebleed. They work ok after that.

Still on last years though. I haven't bothered to send mine back yet since I dont really mine working on them every so often.
    Maybe after doing the Hot August nights race I'll send them back and see how they are then.