mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well XTR Caliper bolts & shims available?

I recently got a set of XTR disc brakes (slightly used). They arrived without caliper bolts or adjusting shims. No biggee (I'm thinking at the time) except that I've been having a he## of a time finding the adjusting shims. They are the new 'horseshoe' shape type, and nobody seems to have them. Anyone know a source online (besides Shimano)? One local bike tech actually told me the shims are not available at all except for with brand new calipers! That can't be right, right? Any help appreciated. Thanks-

Lay off the Levers
    Have you tried "Loose Screws"?
    They specialize in odd/seperate parts.

I would think Shimano would have no problem selling extra shims and screws. It wouldn't hurt to give their tech support a call.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member

It does not need to be horseshoe shims does it ?

Any regular round shim will work, in fact any steel washer of correct dimensions will work.
    I prefer using the old round 755XT shims on my XTR, the horseshoe are just not as tidy.

Quote Originally Posted by frog1105
    I recently got a set of XTR disc brakes (slightly used). They arrived without caliper bolts or adjusting shims. No biggee (I'm thinking at the time) except that I've been having a he## of a time finding the adjusting shims. They are the new 'horseshoe' shape type, and nobody seems to have them. Anyone know a source online (besides Shimano)? One local bike tech actually told me the shims are not available at all except for with brand new calipers! That can't be right, right? Any help appreciated. Thanks-

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Smile

Thanks for the replies. I like the Loose Screws site. (and I thought I'd been to every bike site on the web...). I will look there for the XTR shims. Regarding the round style shims, I wasn't sure they were compatible, but I assume my LBS should have them. Maybe they will serve for now. I'll check it out. Thanks!

mtbr member

Any round shim will work as

long as it is for a IS standard since they all use M6 bolts (6mm)

Quote Originally Posted by frog1105
    Thanks for the replies. I like the Loose Screws site. (and I thought I'd been to every bike site on the web...). I will look there for the XTR shims. Regarding the round style shims, I wasn't sure they were compatible, but I assume my LBS should have them. Maybe they will serve for now. I'll check it out. Thanks!