Mulleticious

XTR brakes are wrong way around

I recently bought an XTR Trail groupset from Bike discount.de (Germany) as it was the cheapest deal I could find. However, on the continent they ride with their brakes front/left and rear/right, (like in the US I think) and so that is what came in the groupset.

I'm from the UK and have grown up with front/right and rear/left brakes.

Am I right in thinking all I have to do is slacken the hose nut, pull the hoses out of the lever assembly, use a new olive and insert for each hose, and swap the lever assemblies around?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yes

turtles make me hot
    I don't have any Shimano brakes yet but I would think you could back the nut all the way out, swap the levers and not even have to replace the olives.
    I like turtles

I did it all for the kudo
    You may not have to replace the olives, but before you remove the cables be sure to do like the youtube video mentions and pull the pads, pump the levers to extend the pistons a bit. Then remove the cables, swap them over. Once tightened back up, push the pistons back into the caliper, which will push any air that may have gotten into the connection during the change over into the reservoir.

Hope this helps. I've shortened lines on two sets of shimano brakes using this method without having to re-bleed. Good luck!
    Last edited by Short Bus; 10-24-2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: because i wanted too!

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    You may not have to replace the olives, but before you remove the cables be sure to do like the youtube video mentions and pull the pads, pump the levers to extend the pistons a bit. Then remove the cables, swap them over. Once tightened back up, push the pistons back into the caliper, which will push any air that may have gotten into the connection during the change over into the reservoir.

Hope this helps. I've shortened lines on two sets of shimano brakes using this method without having to re-bleed. Good luck!
    Sort Bus - you got a link to that YouTube vid? - there are too many to choose from...

I did it all for the kudo
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    Sort Bus - you got a link to that YouTube vid? - there are too many to choose from...
    Sorry for the late reply. I thought it was a vid, when actually it was a pdf file off the Shimano website. Very uncomplicated stuff to do, it's only a single beer project . So you've probably already found this, but if not here it is. Cheers

http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...20Trimming.pdf