XTR brake pads

Printable View

• 11-19-2012
    likeaboss
    XTR brake pads
    Can anyone tell me which brake pads come with Shimano M988?

Also, are the pads different between SLX, XT and XTR?

Thanks
  • 11-20-2012
    likeaboss
    I looked up the specs on Shimano's site and for both XTR and SLX it states Metal/Resin for type of pads. They are finned but Metal and Resin are two different types of pads. So do they come with a combination? Metal on one caliper and resin on the other or a mixture of metal/resin on one caliper?
  • 11-20-2012
    likeaboss
    Called Shimano. The M988 and M675 both came with metal finned pads.
  • 11-23-2012
    millertm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    I looked up the specs on Shimano's site and for both XTR and SLX it states Metal/Resin for type of pads. They are finned but Metal and Resin are two different types of pads. So do they come with a combination? Metal on one caliper and resin on the other or a mixture of metal/resin on one caliper?

No, you can choose Metal or Resin. Two different choices.

Mark
  • 11-24-2012
    patineto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    No, you can choose Metal or Resin. Two different choices.

Mark

Mark can you please illustrate us on the difference in between the two compounds..:confused:
  • 11-25-2012
    MTB Pilot
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Mark can you please illustrate us on the difference in between the two compounds..:confused:

Metal compound is longer lasting and more fade-resistant than resin, while resin compound is quieter and generates less heat than metal.:thumbsup:
  • 11-25-2012
    patineto
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Metal compound is longer lasting and more fade-resistant than resin, while resin compound is quieter and generates less heat than metal.:thumbsup:

Well I need very potent brakes, but I'm afraid of the reliability issues with the EBC red's, plus they are to gravy with very little modulation..