mtbr member
    Apr 2004

XTR Brake Lever Play- Mystery Fix

So- i think i had a small hit on my lever and there is some really annoyng play- like the lever is loose. The play is in the lever but when you look closely at it its the lever piston that leads to the internal body of the brake that feels as if it was pulled out from some internal fitting. Take a look at the video. what do the experts on the board think? Busted internals? I have alreadt tried the reach adjuster srew- its fine.

mtbr member
    maybe air in the lines?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Less than 4 months old.... But maybe....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

FOUND THE ISSUE! Thank You

So since this was PM'd to me i shall leave the kind gentlemen anonomyus....and add my own color commentary to this whole process.

When the lever took the hit it pulled the piston rod out of it's housing. This is a break away feature that many brake manufacturers use like my old Juicy 7's...the difference is that on the J7's I had you could make this happen just by pushing on the lever outward ad it clicked out noticably. This is not the case on this brake.

On this brake it felt broken. I could not find an anser in Shimano manuals, tech docs, google/bing searches- nada. I found the answer here, no suprise, but this could be made clear in the shimano docs or on their website and im a bit confused why its not....

Fortunately it's an easy fix....remove the lever, you will see a flat washer (it's probably not flat anymore) held in place by a snap-ring. Correct- it was not flat the o ring was bent around the ball end of the master cylinder. Remove the snap-ring, pop out the washer and either replace it with similar, or flatten with a hammer. I flattened it with a hammer and it was fine.

Shimano doesn't list the washer as a replacement part.you can get the washer at Home Depot if you so choose.

I had to bring the setup to my LBS as the snap ring was really hard to get back in place and i did not have the right tools....i used a needlenose to extract it ad bent it a bit- i dont reccoend that approach. i worked it back into the right shape but it was not the right tool....

It's a quick fix, shouldn't take more then 5 minutes with the proper tools according to my un-named coach.

so- as he said- It can be a real b*Tchto get back together. You'll need some proper snap-ring pliers and something to push the plunger down into the master cylinder (long 9mm socket works good). Try to get one edge of the snap-ring into its seat and then work your way around until it pops back into place.

viola- there you go. you know- I shouldhave taken some pics of this and posted them. Dang- if someone else has this happen- post pics of the internal before, during and in re-assembly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I have a very similar problem but can't get the pin out to remove the lever. How did you do it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You'll have to remove a small screw that's on the side. You can't see it because it's hidden behind a tiny (~1mm) rubber cap that you should take out (e.g. with a needle) first.
    The screw itself is tiny, it holds the axle in place. Unscrew it and you can push out the axle.

mtbr member
    got similar issue on my XT brake. crashed, brake lever took hit. now the rings at the top and bottom ath the ends of lever axle are squished and popped up a little. when i push them in lever works fine, but after while they pop out a bit again and lever gets loose? shimano docs doesnt even show/list these rings? is there anywhere i can get new ones or substitute with something?
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thank you so much for posting this fix, jomissa!

I had exactly the same problem, and your fix was the solution.

I took a couple photos that might help others with the same issue. Please note that you do definitely do need snap ring pliers—an extra set of hands would have made it easier too. I was able to hammer to retainer ring flat and re-use it, but the washer was too out-of-round after flattening. Fortunately, my local Ace Hardware set me up and I'm back in business for 13˘.

XTR Brake Lever Play- Mystery Fix-1.jpgXTR Brake Lever Play- Mystery Fix-2.jpgXTR Brake Lever Play- Mystery Fix-3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    thanks jomissa and roguemtb, great commentary and photos.

I went over the handlebars on the weekend at 2km/hr while being filmed. Funny stuff until I realised the rear brake lever had popped out of it's little socket and was loosely flopping around. Don't ask me how!

Anyway, this thread is the only one I was able to find that was relevant to this problem that I suspect is actually quite commonplace.

I used the same technique as described above.

A couple of other things to add to help others that follow in our footsteps.....

1) I bought a pair of nose pliers from the local hobby shop and they did the job just fine getting that circlip in and out, although I have no doubt I could have bought the same from Bunnings or other hardware store (probably for less). In fact getting the circlip and washer in and out was actually quicker and easier than I thought it would be from reading the previous posts.

2) As others have reported, my washer was a tad too large (outer diameter) to pop back in the hole from whence it came after I had flattened it out with some light taps from a hammer. So I took a fine file and did a few laps around the outer edges of the washer. In it went.

3) My brakes were Shimano XTR M975, approx 2008 vintage.

4) The hardest thing for me about the job was finding the little grub screw ("lever axle fixing bolt") that allows the lever to come off the brakeset! Its sort of tucked away. Once I'd found that and backed it off a couple of turns the lever axle came straight out and the brake lever member itself came off no sweat.

4) Cupla other very useful websites (Shimano) including tech info around the brake lever assembly (Albeit not showing the brake drum, circlip and washer), and also some info on how to bleed your brakes once you've got it all together and back in one piece.....

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830728273.pdf

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830615973.PDF

Shimano