mtbr member
    Jun 2004

XTR bleeding problem

anybody got better way to bleed shimano XTR disc brake. It is a new XTR brake set, after i install, i follow the instruction to bleed, put the mineral oil from the reservoir tank on top but and so on, but the the lever need to press a lot and i think inside the host still got air bubble because the feeling is spoongy. Anyone got better way to bleed XTR disc brake? thanks for reply

mtbr member

search ...

this forum for XTR bleed and you will find what you're looking for:
    eg.
    Bleeding XTR disc brakes

Quote Originally Posted by daytona
    anybody got better way to bleed shimano XTR disc brake. It is a new XTR brake set, after i install, i follow the instruction to bleed, put the mineral oil from the reservoir tank on top but and so on, but the the lever need to press a lot and i think inside the host still got air bubble because the feeling is spoongy. Anyone got better way to bleed XTR disc brake? thanks for reply

Bikeaddict
    Apr 2004

An interesting problem

Yeah, best to squirt it backwards up through. Beware, if the adjustment allen screw in the 'elbow' of the lever is too far in, this closes the master cylinder and won't let you bleed it. Doesnt have to be screwed very far in to cause the problem. Thought I was going to have to buy a new set of integrated lever/shifters! UK Shimano importer was not aware of this - drove me mad - seemed jammed so you couldnt squeeze fluid backwards through the system of pump it through from the top. Always slacken the screw off before bleeding! After bleeding, adjust the travel to what you want with the screw OR it will feel spongey, even with no air in the system.