Thread: XTR 970 rant

mtbr member

XTR 970 rant

so I've been biding my time dealing with sticky pistons on my xtr 970's for over 2 1/2 years now...sticky pistons and lame retraction have been plaguing me on what is now my 3rd set of calipers. The current stuff I have was replaced once again under warranty, with no hassle from Shimano (cool), but the fact that all 3 pairs of brakes that they have supplied all have had ongoing problems with sticky pistons (the most recent are actually the worst) is a bad sign for these brakes.

To be fair, when they do work, they have good power and great modulation and the weight is quite nice, but in dry and fairly dusty conditions over the summer, I can get 3-4 rides, each less than 10 miles, before I have to clean, lube, work the pistons.

Am I expecting too much???

I will be looking for a lightweight xc replacement next year...formula, hope, magura...whatever is going to perform at a lighter weight and without all the hassle...

bite me shimano...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My 960's gave issues too. I went Avid and have been happy....others have had issues though. New Elixir CR mag are good.

Ride More Work Less
    Jun 2006
    I feel the pain too. I have to clean my pistons after EVERY ride. I was about 15 miles into my ride today when they started the stickiness. I have not had them replaced under warranty yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've seen the same. I haven't touched my mono minis in 2+ years (including pads). Maybe give them a shot?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hmmm. I was just thinking about how tired I am of my Hope X2 Pros ... already. Absolutely refuse to retract. Spent 3 hours working on them tonight, cleaning / "lubing" pistons, bleeding, ect.
    I've been wishing I had bought XTR's based on my great experience with XT's. I guess I should continue fighting through it before dropping more cash on products that may not actually be an improvement.
    -Carlos

Flux

mtbr member
    Are you expecting too much? For the price of XTR? Hell no!
    Shimano is probably making 1000% profit on each sale, so make them take care of you!

mtbr member
    here's the m975. http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-...5_1507crx.aspx
    not the same model but it seems the problem is widespread.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    sounds annoying

i am happier with shimano these days than ever. i have run hopes, several versions/years, and formulas, and my go to brakes for sure are now newer (2009+) Shimano brakes. Perhaps I am lucky? dunno...but i prefer em over other manufacturer/models i have used in the past, and currently (I still have one set of formula biancos on one bike).

11 is one louder than 10
    Not sure about XTR, but ask them for the XT's next time under warranty. Loving the XT's.

Power, modulation, easy set-up. Dig 'em.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    Not sure about XTR, but ask them for the XT's next time under warranty. Loving the XT's.

Power, modulation, easy set-up. Dig 'em.
    +1 on the XTs...i love em, and my current build under construction too will run those