mtbr member

XTR 965 calipers with XTR BL-M975 levers/hoses

Has anyone tried the Shimano BR-M965 F & R calipers with the newer (2010) Shimano XTR BL-M975 Hydraulic Brake Levers and hose combo?
    Looking to swap out my XTR Rapid Raise flippy shift levers and RD for XTR triggers and hydro brake levers but keeping the older 965 brake calipers. Wondering if this combo works okay before I purchase the 975 levers and bleed kit.
    Concerned about the XTR 965 caliper BANJO BOLT requirement with the newer 975 hoses that use a connecting bolt and the olive. Should I assume a Shimano banjo bolt will fit on the caliper side of the newer 975 hoses?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Should I assume a Shimano banjo bolt will fit on the caliper side of the newer 975 hoses?
    YES. You can purchase just the banjo and olive or a hose with the banjo already crimped on.

All Shimano are cross compatible. You just have to match up the hose ends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well...not sure this is true.

Inserts are different, that is clear, but I also saw a difference in the caliper hole diameter - inside the threads. It might work, but I was reluctant to try after I saw the difference.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yes it will work. I ran that set up for 2 years. That was my most trouble-free braking experience I had, wish I had kept them. I also have a M965 IS caliper in may basement if anyone is interested in it cheap. I'll also throw in some rotors to sweeten the deal! PM me if interested.
    MCH Co-Captain