aje
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

XTR 07 Dual Shifter Hydraulics

I'm running the above brakes with the old XT rotors (because I don't have the centre lock pattern on my wheelset). The pads are the original metallics, and I'm getting some serious vibration and howling noises when I brake hard or modulate the brakes on a fast downhill.

Is there an incompatibility with the rotors ? A mate of mine is running the XTR brakes as well, but with the 07 Rotors, and has no problems.

A

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    the rotors should be fine... however it would be good if you sand them a little bit, to get the old pad material out of them....

make sure that the new pads are not rubbing on the rotor "arms" and make sure you take the time to bed the pads correctly

also make sure the rotors are true.. and recenter the caliper with respect to the rotor if necessary.....

one last thing.. if you have IS XTR calipers, did you have your brakes tabs faced???

aje
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    er...the lbs installed the brakes as it is. All calipers and rotors are aligned fine (the wheel rotates freely). The rotors have been cleaned with alcohol.

How do you mean rubbing on the rotor arms ?
    What do you mean by brake tabs faced ?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by aje
    er...the lbs installed the brakes as it is. All calipers and rotors are aligned fine (the wheel rotates freely). The rotors have been cleaned with alcohol.

How do you mean rubbing on the rotor arms ?
    I mean if you look at the rotor, is the "polished section" only in the braking track or is a small part of the rotor arms "polished too"

Quote Originally Posted by aje
    What do you mean by brake tabs faced ?
    If your calipers are IS (not postmount with adapters), it recommended that you face the tabs.... that means using a special tool to remove the paint and a bit of material on the tabs to ensure that they are perfectly square .... your LBS should be able to do it