mtbr member
    Aug 2010

XT/XTR V-Brake question....

Hey folks,

I have a brake question here...
    I have a 2000 Cannondale F1000SL with factory Coda Expert V-brakes and Avid levers, and am looking to upgrade the brakes.

My question is this:
    I am trying to decide between upgrading to higher/high end v-brakes or converting to disc since the frame is disc compatible. The issue then becomes financial... looking around it looks like I could get some used XTR brakes and levers for $150 or so, give or take. Upgrading to discs would require me to also upgrade my wheelset in addition to getting the actual brakes... so I might only be able to swing for discs of mid range quality (and most likely cable discs instead of hydraulic).
    How would upgrading to top end V-brakes compare to upgrading to mid range discs? I've meen out of the mountain biking loop for two long, so I'm looking for any advice that people are willing to offer.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I had the same question about a year ago with my Cannondale Jekyll 600. Love the bike but wanted stronger brakes with Disc. Asked around and the answer i got was to seriously consider getting a new bike that comes with disc. The main reason was everything you mentioned. I would need, new brake assemble and new wheels/hubs. I priced this out in my head and it was about $300-$400 for base line stuff.

Well, after begging the wife to let me buy a new bike for health reasons...=) NOw that I look back...all those people were right. It didnt make sense to upgrade the older bike as my riding style would of required more upgrades eventually.

mtbr member
    I'd consider just getting some decent brake pads (ie kool stop), and if you don't have speed dial avid levers, get some. The xtr brakes won't get you that much more braking than bling.
    Save pennies for new bike or upgrades. Does your bike have disc compatible hubs? If not, factor in a minimum of $100-150 for disc compatible wheelset + the ~$100 for some BB7's.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

the catalan connection
    What type of riding do you do?
    Most of the time I think I would be fine with Vs on my rides, except for the long, steep descends Im doing lately...there I would suffer with Vs.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by themollusk
    Hey folks,
    How would upgrading to top end V-brakes compare to upgrading to mid range discs? I've meen out of the mountain biking loop for two long, so I'm looking for any advice that people are willing to offer.

Thanks!
    I would expect to spend at LEAST $250-300 if you're upgrading to discs. $150 for the wheels, and $100 for the avid mechanicals and another $50 for cables, housing and shipping.

Anything less and you are going to end up with some junk somewhere.

I wouldn't invest any more in V-brakes than you have to. Probably just throw on some new pads and call it good until you're looking to upgrade your entire bike...

XTR V-brakes are really nice, but they'll never be anything more than v-brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check out the sales Shimano is changing it line up so there are some really good deals out there.

ballbuster

I wouldn't bother too much with upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by themollusk
    Hey folks,

I have a brake question here...
    I have a 2000 Cannondale F1000SL with factory Coda Expert V-brakes and Avid levers, and am looking to upgrade the brakes.

My question is this:
    I am trying to decide between upgrading to higher/high end v-brakes or converting to disc since the frame is disc compatible. The issue then becomes financial... looking around it looks like I could get some used XTR brakes and levers for $150 or so, give or take. Upgrading to discs would require me to also upgrade my wheelset in addition to getting the actual brakes... so I might only be able to swing for discs of mid range quality (and most likely cable discs instead of hydraulic).

Thanks!
    The best V-Brakes are only slightly better than the $20 mid grade ones. Get the best pads you can find, IMO, Kool Stop Greys, or SwissStops. Some of those newer multi-compound brake pads look pretty sweet, but I honestly don't actually know if they are any better.

If you're gonna bother to 'upgrade', go to discs. Except for the lowest of the low end disc brakes, any disc brake is gonna smoke any V-Brake hands down... unless you count weight.

mtbr member
    Like others here said, get some nice levers, and some new kool stop brake pads. I really like the coloured ones - apparently they get grippier depending on their colour, salmon/orange being the best.

Got The Life
    May 2010
    +3 . i upgraded my Tektro V-brakes to XTR for the front. The XTR's are great but their stopping power with the standard pads is just ok. My Tektro cheap-o's on the back with the Kool Stop pads have much more power.