bike rider

XT + XTR Calipers the Same?

Shimano's web site claims a 1 gram per caliper difference when comparing post mount calipers. Cosmeticly there are a few small differences and the XTR comes with Ti backed pads but do both calipers feel the same when matched with XTR levers? Are the compounds of the included pads the same?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That's a great question, I assume the XT caliper is lower priced?
    Niner Jet9

Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Shimano's web site claims a 1 gram per caliper difference when comparing post mount calipers. Cosmeticly there are a few small differences and the XTR comes with Ti backed pads but do both calipers feel the same when matched with XTR levers? Are the compounds of the included pads the same?
    The xtr have a cam action to their pads keeping the brake pad parallel. That's what that gizmo is that isn't on the xt brakes.

Who cares about the compounds. Replacement pads are dirt cheap.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by nm_gunslinger
    The xtr have a cam action to their pads keeping the brake pad parallel. That's what that gizmo is that isn't on the xt brakes.

Who cares about the compounds. Replacement pads are dirt cheap.
    I believe he's talking about the disc brake calipers... not v-brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

XTR levers + XT calipers = good

I understand XTR and XT calipers the same function wise.

I've just set up XTR levers with XT calipers, and got a few rides on them. Really like it.

I initially got XT/XT set-up, great power but didn't like the feel of the XT levers. Don't get me wrong, they're not bad, I just didn't like modulation of servowave - power ramps up too sharply for my liking. Power with XTR lever not quite XT level but still very good.

Haven't tried XTR + XTR combo, so can't comment on difference.

bike rider
    CountryMike, when you switched from XT to XTR levers did the pads remain the same distance from the disc? I put XTs on my DH bike because the pads sit so much farther from the disc than other systems. This is my favorite trait of the brakes. However, I was under the impression that the extra clearance is made possible by the ServoWave variable pivot location.