Calm like a Bomb

XT and XTR Brakes..

So I am up in the air like most between these 2, I want a light bike so weight does matter to a point but I also wnat good braking. Is thr XTr that much lighter? can I use the XTR 975 rotors with the XT 775 calipers?

mtbr member
    XTR's are not that much lighter than XT's. The XT's are a better performer. Yes you can interchange rotors...
    FWIW, I put XTR's on my 575 and XT's on RRB's 575 and I like the no tool reach adjustment, power and modulation (and servowave feature) on hers a bit better... Lever feel is about the same.

wuss
    The XTR's are about 50g lighter per end.

wuss
    Sorry, make that 30g's per end...

TLL
    mtbr member
    And they use the same rotors--well, last time I checked they did.

I've owned both, and like the XT better. The ONLY reason you might want XTR is if you are racing.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    if you really want light, you should buy Magura Marta SL

wuss
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    And they use the same rotors--well, last time I checked they did.

I've owned both, and like the XT better. The ONLY reason you might want XTR is if you are racing.
    Actually according to google the XT (RT77 or RT78) rotors weigh about 15g more each compared to the XTR (RT97) rotors. I did not take that into account when posting the weight difference above.

I'm still contemplating between the two... I guess altogeather the weight difference could end up being almost 100g if the rotor weight difference is true.

My problem is that the cheap source I would have for the XTR brakes would only have IS mount calipers. I always had PM mount brakes and feel they are very easy to set up even if my fork and frame are not faced. I'm afraid setting up IS mount XTR's would be a hassle. The price for the set of XTR would be about 10% more then the XT's, so quite a small difference (no difference if I took larger rotors then 160mm). The Marta SL's cost double what the XTR's go for here, so they are out of my budjet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    you should be live her in hungary. here you can buy brand new complete pair of marta sl for 60.000HUf that's about 400USD or marta for 45.000HUF (300USD).

wuss
    That's pretty cheap... In the UK and Germany the marta's are about 250€/pair and Marta SL's over 400€/pair.

Mechanic since 1994
    From the mtbr reviews I have been trawling through (at the risk of losing girl and job through the time spent) it seems the XTR ones are fraught with problems the XT's seem not to suffer from? ie reliability issues and brake fade and such.
    The tone of this forum seems to support this higher regard for the Xt's as well?

Opposite I guess to the V's from these two model groups, the XT ones being horrible squeakers for almost everyone. (though I think that is fixed now that almost noone buys such things anymore )

mtbr member
    May 2009
    well half of those reviews are from half-witted people that only decide to review a product when it screws up.

the maintainance cost is also a factor. XTR parts ain't cheap and a few years down the line, todays XTR will be the 2013 XT (with variations)

i say nab the XTs, they're cheaper and are proven.

but then again, just the thought of having an XTR component on your bike may be too tempting for you

mtbr member
    I am in the same boat.

I want appreciate lightening the bike, but think better braking is more important, at the expense of a few grams.

It looks like the levers is where all the differences lie...is that correct?

@OP - where are you getting the deal on the XTR IS calipher? I prefer not to have an adapter, even if it makes set-up a pain.

human dehumidifier
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Yes you can interchange rotors...
    I don't mean to hijack, but is that true for other mfr's rotors too? I can hang shimano calipers over 6-bolt Avid rotors, right?

On the post mount vs IS topic, the photos I've seen look like the XTs are by default post mount, with an adapter bolted on for IS mount. I haven't seen them in person to know for sure though.
    Last edited by wv_bob; 10-15-2009 at 11:11 AM.
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

other rotors with XT/XTRs

Yes, you can run non-Shimano rotors with XT or XTRs. I have XTs on my Enduro and XTRs on my Moto-lite. I run Hayes V8 & V7 rotors without any problems. I've also run Avid rotors.

Personally, I prefer the XTs as well, but my XTRs are much better now. It took some playing around with them and adjusting the oil level and pad clearance to get the "feel" that I liked. the lever feel of the XTR stock setup was too soft for me.

my .02
    - 2011 Mojo HD
    - 2006 Enduro Pro (Some a$$hat stole it!!!)
    - 2004 Demo 9 DH
    - 2007 Titus Motolite

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Slightly different answer here.

There's no real difference, other than cosmetic, between XT and XTR post mount calipers. So only performance difference is in levers. I run both, think both are very good, but for me, XTR is better.

I don't love the way servo wave on XT ramps up braking force half way through lever stroke. XTRs have same end stroke power as my XTs, and lever feel/modulation on XTR is better for me.

gunslinger
    Found this thread searching for info on XTR pads, so I'll toss my $0.02 in... while I don't know XTs, the XTRs thru about 500 miles thus far have been flawless. Granted, my bike came w/ them, so rigging them myself wan't part of the equation.

Anyway...

Fat Guy Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by countryMike
    Slightly different answer here.

There's no real difference, other than cosmetic, between XT and XTR post mount calipers. So only performance difference is in levers. I run both, think both are very good, but for me, XTR is better.

I don't love the way servo wave on XT ramps up braking force half way through lever stroke. XTRs have same end stroke power as my XTs, and lever feel/modulation on XTR is better for me.
    I actually agree with Mike here, the XT's ServoWave levers IMO reduce feel through their increased power. I actually have my 08 XT's sitting on a shelf and replaced them with Elixir CRs. Bike got 1/2 lb lighter and my brakes work better for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    i like em both...i sort of preferred my new XTs over my new XTRs, but both good enough

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I know the new ones are lighter but my 2008 XTR's weigh a few grams less than my 2007 Marta SL's. That's without rotors as I use the lightweight Ashima rotors.
    I like my XTR's better.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by rroadie
    I know the new ones are lighter but my 2008 XTR's weigh a few grams less than my 2007 Marta SL's. That's without rotors as I use the lightweight Ashima rotors.
    I like my XTR's better.
    i agree...I like XTR(and XT) better than Martas I had. However, Formulas are my favorite with Hope a close second

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I really like my XT setup with hope floating rotors, seem to provide a lot more power.

Fat Guy Riding
    If all you want is raw power, another thing you can do with the XT's is Goodridge lines, but again, less feel and lots of power.

If you haven't tried running 1 metal and 1 resin pad, that works too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.