Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by iwantalitebike View Post
    I have the same problem!

Who did you contact? You LBS or Shimano directly? If Shimano, a phone number would be awesome.
    Just went to LBS an showed them and they took it from there. And...i didn't even buy the bike or brakes from them. they are just a really good shop. I thought someone else on this thread contacted Shimano directly though.

Again, I got the new banjo nut installed and my brake bled and new pads all covered by LBS through shimano. Kept rotor but cleaned it. In the interim while waiting for the banjo nut I kept riding it but put super glue around the nut. It had some air in the line but it worked for a week or so until the LBS had the part and time to do it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have same problem with my XTR trail M988 brakes which Goodridge Hydraulic Tubing Kit do I need?

Goodridge patented reusable, stainless steel fittings, no crush-style compression ferrule olives
    Coated, stainless steel braided, PTFE inner, hydraulic tubing
    Tubing design has an extreme bend radius for no-kink, no-bulge performance which also offers a firmer, more consistent brake feel
    Developed from Formula-1, World Rally, and Indy Car racing
    Kit #104: (2) M8x.75mm-male in-line fittings (1 fixed, 1 swivel)
    Kit #108/110: (1) M6x1mm 90-degree banjo fitting and (1) M8x.75mm-male in-line fittings (must reuse stock caliper banjo bolt on Juicy brakes)
    Kit #111: (1) M6x1mm male inline (long) and (1) M8x.75mm male inline (long) fittings
    ZOOM

item # kit # f/r length color remaining price action
    GE-10411 104 front 900mm carbon 10 $33.95

GE-10412 104 rear 1650mm carbon 9 $36.95

GE-10421 104 front 900mm clear 10 $33.95

GE-10422 104 rear 1650mm clear 10 $36.95

GE-10431 104 front 900mm white 2 $31.95

GE-10432 104 rear 1650mm white 1 $36.95

GE-10441 104 front 900mm black 7 $31.95

GE-10442 104 rear 1650mm black 4 $36.95

Fits (1 front or rear): Shimano XTR-M975, XT-M775, Deore-M525; Hayes Sole; Magura rim brakes (no crossover tube, just M/C to cylinders); Avid Code, Code 5, Code G3, Code R, Hayes Stroker Ryde
    GE-10811 108/110 front 900mm carbon 8 $43.95

GE-10812 108/110 rear 1650mm carbon 6 $47.95

GE-10821 108/110 front 900mm clear 2 $43.95

GE-10822 108/110 rear 1650mm clear 2 $47.95

GE-10831 108/110 front 900mm white 9 $43.95

GE-10832 108/110 rear 1650mm white 7 $48.95

GE-10841 108/110 front 900mm black 9 $43.95

GE-10842 108/110 rear 1650mm black 6 $48.95

Fits: (1 front or rear) Saint-M800, XT-M765/756, Hone-M600 LX-M585, Deore-M556 systems; Magura Gustav-M; Hayes El Camino, Stroker Trail / Carbon; 2005+ Juicy-5/7 (no <04 Juicy-7 or The One requires M8x1.0 lever fitting) Formula R1, RX
    GE-11101 111 front 900mm carbon 5 $49.95

GE-11102 111 rear 1650mm carbon 7 $52.95

GE-11121 111 front 900mm clear 6 $49.95

GE-11123 111 rear 1650mm clear 3 $54.95

Fits: Magura Marta, Louise; Avid Elixir, XX, X.O, X.9 and X.7 models do I need.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
    I have same problem with my XTR trail M988 brakes which Goodridge Hydraulic Tubing Kit do I need?...
    Get 2 of these:
    Goodridge Connector Kit 108 Saint El Camino Gustav | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    or these if you want some spare parts:
    Goodridge Connector Kit 107 Shimano Systems | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I prefer the silver stainless...but not alloy

And, you'll need some of this:
    Goodridge Hose | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

I made my own w/ the banjo from an old Juicy kit and swivel M8 x 0.75 from an ala carte buy. And, I buy hose in bulk to save some $$ (I use these hoses on several bikes).
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    so any 108 kit should do, thanks!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    @Pau11y - I use the push pull method like you would with Avid brakes and it works fine.
    I bought the Avid bleed kit and gave the DOT to a buddy with Avid brakes. The brass threaded
    end thingy fits perfectly into the reservoir on the levers and I just push the plastic tubing over the bleed nipple on the caliper. It work perfectly.
    Used the Avid method and got a GREAT bleed! Used an old Hayes bleed nipple spring over the tubing on the caliper end to attach the hose and the Avid hardware did just thread right in at the lever end! Used the steps from Avid...closed lever and pushed/pulled at the caliper end, then pushed fluid up to lever, closed off caliper then pushed pulled at lever end. Way clean, a HELLUVALOT less chance of making a mess than a open funnel, AND it degassed the mineral oil!

Whoever said mineral oil doesn't hold dissolved gases like DOT...give it a try and get back to us on your results because I got mine to fizz up like a newly opened bottle of 7Up!

The only drawback...rubber bits designed for DOT doesn't play well w/ mineral oil, or whatever Shimano has added into its oil, cause it'll eventually turn the syringe plunger's rubber tip into puddy! I think I need to find me some Magura syringes from the old days...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Does anyone know if this problem has been solved? I was planning on ordering a set of 785s next month.I think the first post was 2011 & Universal Cycles lists the brake as the '12 model.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bitewerks View Post
    Does anyone know if this problem has been solved? I was planning on ordering a set of 785s next month.I think the first post was 2011 & Universal Cycles lists the brake as the '12 model.

Thanks!
    My friendly LBS got a new front brake line and new set of finned metallic pads for me from Shimano, no problem. Problem solved! My rear brake was unaffected and my friend with his M785 was also unaffected. I'm not sure why a few people couldn't get theirs repaired under warranty when my LBS manager said Shimano sent them my replacement parts no problem, no questions asked.

Having previously been a Campagnolo fan for my road bikes, my opinion of Shimano is definitely increased by how they handled this little warranty issue.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for the info. I'm ordering online so just wanted to double-check as if there's an issue, I'd have to send them back to Universal Cycles (I'm in TX & need to save as much as I can on parts) for warranty, I"m assuming? Or would I go direct to Shimano?

Reading threads about problems always seems to make the issue sound much bigger/worse than it is especially when it's the first set of hydro's for me.

mtbr member
    Good read and thanks for the tips about line replacements- likely to double check tonight and order new lines anyways.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yeah my friend succesfully managed to solve his problems with new XTRs . Regards

MTB, Road, Commuting
    Question: How long does Shimano warranty this? My brakes are 2010 and I've had the problem for over a year now but haven't seen any leakage or noticeable loss of fluid (till lately) but the symptoms match perfectly.

Thanks for the thread. I've searched for this issue before never found the answer. I guess i was searching for the wrong thing. My symptoms are howling brakes, loss of power and if I do some hard braking I get it all back for a while and then it starts over. Just lately I've noticed the lever is getting soft. The breaks worked flawlessly for about a year.

I could care less if I have to buy new pads. I've bought about 3 sets trying to get them to work.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bedwards1000 View Post
    Question: How long does Shimano warranty this? My brakes are 2010 and I've had the problem for over a year now but haven't seen any leakage or noticeable loss of fluid (till lately) but the symptoms match perfectly.

Thanks for the thread. I've searched for this issue before never found the answer. I guess i was searching for the wrong thing. My symptoms are howling brakes, loss of power and if I do some hard braking I get it all back for a while and then it starts over. Just lately I've noticed the lever is getting soft. The breaks worked flawlessly for about a year.

I could care less if I have to buy new pads. I've bought about 3 sets trying to get them to work.
    XTR has a 3 year warranty and XT has 2 years.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Well, update since I started this thread. My warrantied brake / banjo nut & line that was installed last fall is leaking again. Noticed the power loss and saw the tell tale signs of mineral oil residue on the caliper. Leaking again at the same place...the crimp above the banjo nut. Back it goes to the LBS...again.

As I have stated, I love these brakes but Shimano has to get this figured out. My rear is, and has been great since new but my front that was supposed to be a new, corrected banjo nut fitting/crimp is leaking yet again. LBS confirmed they come crimped at factory and it's the lever end that gets cut for size adjustments. So they come from Shimano this way...with the bad crimp.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had the same problem too, put on the supposedly fixed Shimano crimped replacement lines and several months later had the same problem. Got tired of that, and put on some Goodbridge brake lines and knock on wood, didn't have any problems the last two months of the riding season. Hopefully that will continue to last, as they are truly the greatest brakes that I have ever used, it's just that the hoses suck. Having to ride the Avids hydros on my snowbike is painful, as they are a POS compared to the performance of the 785s.

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Couldn't agree more. After the new generation shimano's the avids are lacking.

LBS said shimano should do another warranty on them with new pads etc. as well since these have oil on them now. But I may look at the goodridge at some point and just be done with it. As you said, the rest o the brake is phenomenal just the lines are the weak link.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    For anyone that needs to get warranty on their brakes, I would recommend going directly through Shimano. By doing so they will replace your whole brakeset as opposed to a bike shop just replacing the hose. I just sent mine in and had new sets in less than 2 weeks.

Xtreme Lounger
    Thanks Pau11y for the good info. I just ordered the full shebang - front and rear XT M785, ice tech rotors, adaptors, bleed kit, mineral oil, Goodridge hose, and fit kits. I ordered (2) of the #108 Goodridge fit kits and 3 meters of hose. And thanks for the tip on getting the stainless fit kit - that's what I ordered.

I bought the new Shimano bleed kit TL-BT03-S which has exactly the right parts for the job and nothing you don't need. For the drain line step to bleed the caliper, I just pulled the plunger out of the syringe and pointed it into my drain pan. I got a perfect bleed on both brakes.

I'm super stoked to burn in the brake set tonight and go for the maiden voyage tomorrow.

mtbr member

XT-XTR BR-M785 Warranty Brake Leaking Issue

I had this on my SLX and they were replaced under warranty. I have since gotten XTR trail and have no issues. I hope they last but looks like it may still be a problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Awesome. I live in Canada and just ordered a front and rear XT kit and had not stumbled upon this issue until, of course, after I ordered these brakes. Now I wonder if I should bother installing the shimano hoses or not. I may contact Shimano before I install and ask them about the issue.

Hopefully my living in Canada and buying Shimano XT brakes from the US isn't an issue via warranty, otherwise I have to replace the hoses myself. Braided looks like a good option, although I may need to buy them outside Canada too...lol.
    Last edited by morkys; 03-23-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Now older but less slow!

XT-XTR BR-M785 Warranty Brake Leaking Issue

Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Now I wonder if I should bother installing the shimano hoses or not. I may contact Shimano before I install and ask them about the issue.
    While no doubt there has been a problem with some people's brakes when you consider the millions of these made and sold it not a huge problem. I have 2013 XT brakes which I've had since they first came out and they have been nothing but reliable over the six or so hundred miles put on them.

I say put the regular lines on and if you have issues then perform a warranty replacement. The odds are that you won't have an issue.

Ninja Master Powers
    ^^^^ +1 I have 2012 XT's with at least 900-1k miles on them. No issues with them at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Fair enough. At least it's just the hoses and connections. The levers and calipers themselves are ok. I will try and see if mine have been updated though.
    Last edited by morkys; 03-24-2013 at 01:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jhymel View Post
    For anyone that needs to get warranty on their brakes, I would recommend going directly through Shimano. By doing so they will replace your whole brakeset as opposed to a bike shop just replacing the hose. I just sent mine in and had new sets in less than 2 weeks.
    So how do you go about going directly through shimano?

Ninja Master Powers
    If my XT's start leaking I think I'll just replace the lines with better quality lines. Faster and easier than warranty, not hugely expensive; and you don't take the chance of ending up with the same problem again.

The brakes themselves are more than worth the effort and small expense IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey guys, I noticed brake squeal and fade within 4 corners descending on Alpe d'Huez. Upon inspection I noticed the following black stuff around the banjo bolt. Does this look like the infamous leak or is this normal dirt and is something else causing the problems?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XT-XTR BR-M785 Warranty Brake Leaking Issue-imag1375.jpg  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast