Calm like a Bomb
Xt,Xtr,Avid or Magura
So I was running some XTR brakes on my 575 and they really wore you out on the downhill runs...I am looking for something that is light and stronger (better 2 finger braking) I do mostly trail riding but do take occasional trips for some DH action
Would the Xt's be better choice, I am also considering the Magura martas or Aviv Elixir CR?
The Martas are super strong....but the modulation is a bit lacking. The Elixirs have plenty of feel and power....just curious about thier long time track record. I have seen plenty of juicys develop problems at our shop... V at the RE
I haven't had my xtr's for long but I like the feel. I'm XC though.
You sound like a good elixir candidate. Friend has some and they do feel good with lots of easy adjustment.
I was considering some martas for a weight weenie build but I don't like grabby brakes so I guess they're out. Also read that they are a maintenance headache. Requiring frequent bleeding.
Personally, I'm thinking I'll just stick with xtr. They fit my riding style well. I haven't weighed the xtr's so I'm not sure how they compare weight wise. I know they're a lot lighter than the hayes nines I have.
I had some magura martas.
I went to Formula K18s.
- While light, they did fade on me on long downhills with a 200/180 set up. This could have been some rider skills as well as brake design. Power was never an issue, just the fading.
- As for maint, just pad wear was about it. I had them bled once in 6 months after the initial set up.
- My current set up of 180/160 does not have that fade on the same downhill run. However, I am using the sintered pads on the rear vs the stock organic. Fronts are the stock pads.
- The k18s have a different feel than the Marta's. Not a worse feeling, just different.
- K18 are way easier to bleed and set up
- Look for a deal on Formula Puros. They are being replaced by the R1s and you could get a smokin' deal.
Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.
I've been rocking XT (Servo Wave levers) for almost 6 months now on my DH bike. Cant rave enough about them.
I went from old Saints to the new XT's. The XT's have more power, more modulation, better lever feel. You can pick up a set with rotors and adapters for under 200 bucks.
IMO they are some of the best brakes out today. Exlixir CR's feel real good, but they are on/off like Juicy's and Codes. Im not a fan of that.
Formula Mega or Ones come in a close second.