Calm like a Bomb

Xt,Xtr,Avid or Magura

So I was running some XTR brakes on my 575 and they really wore you out on the downhill runs...I am looking for something that is light and stronger (better 2 finger braking) I do mostly trail riding but do take occasional trips for some DH action

Would the Xt's be better choice, I am also considering the Magura martas or Aviv Elixir CR?

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The Martas are super strong....but the modulation is a bit lacking. The Elixirs have plenty of feel and power....just curious about thier long time track record. I have seen plenty of juicys develop problems at our shop... V at the RE

mtbr member
    I haven't had my xtr's for long but I like the feel. I'm XC though.

You sound like a good elixir candidate. Friend has some and they do feel good with lots of easy adjustment.

I was considering some martas for a weight weenie build but I don't like grabby brakes so I guess they're out. Also read that they are a maintenance headache. Requiring frequent bleeding.

Personally, I'm thinking I'll just stick with xtr. They fit my riding style well. I haven't weighed the xtr's so I'm not sure how they compare weight wise. I know they're a lot lighter than the hayes nines I have.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I had some magura martas.
    • While light, they did fade on me on long downhills with a 200/180 set up. This could have been some rider skills as well as brake design. Power was never an issue, just the fading.
    • As for maint, just pad wear was about it. I had them bled once in 6 months after the initial set up.
    I went to Formula K18s.
    • My current set up of 180/160 does not have that fade on the same downhill run. However, I am using the sintered pads on the rear vs the stock organic. Fronts are the stock pads.
    • The k18s have a different feel than the Marta's. Not a worse feeling, just different.
    • K18 are way easier to bleed and set up
    • Look for a deal on Formula Puros. They are being replaced by the R1s and you could get a smokin' deal.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

EastBaySteez
    I've been rocking XT (Servo Wave levers) for almost 6 months now on my DH bike. Cant rave enough about them.

I went from old Saints to the new XT's. The XT's have more power, more modulation, better lever feel. You can pick up a set with rotors and adapters for under 200 bucks.

IMO they are some of the best brakes out today. Exlixir CR's feel real good, but they are on/off like Juicy's and Codes. Im not a fan of that.

Formula Mega or Ones come in a close second.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6