Thread: XT/XTR 180mm??

Bikeaddict
    Apr 2004

XT/XTR 180mm??

Does anyone know of an adapter for XT/XTR to take them to fit a 180mm rotor? I have lockring XTR wheels at the moment and at 160mm they arent good enough for my needs and at 203mm on the front (Shimano make a 203mm adapter and 203mm lock-ring rotor) they are fantastic but the extra weight is too much for me. If I could get a 180mm adapter for the caliper, I would consider changing the front wheel to a 6 bolt disc hub and get a 180mm rotor - I assume the XTR caliper should work with any 180mm rotor (Hope etc) so long as you can be adapted it to fit radially???

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eungblut
    Does anyone know of an adapter for XT/XTR to take them to fit a 180mm rotor? I have lockring XTR wheels at the moment and at 160mm they arent good enough for my needs and at 203mm on the front (Shimano make a 203mm adapter and 203mm lock-ring rotor) they are fantastic but the extra weight is too much for me. If I could get a 180mm adapter for the caliper, I would consider changing the front wheel to a 6 bolt disc hub and get a 180mm rotor - I assume the XTR caliper should work with any 180mm rotor (Hope etc) so long as you can be adapted it to fit radially???
    Well here is my theoretical (i.e. I've never actually tried it) answer:

1. If you have a 160mm post mount, then any post mount adaptor that takes a 160mm to a 180mm rotor SHOULD work. Same should apply for the IS mount

2. Brake track will be the concern for using a different brand rotor. But XTR uses a narrow brack track, so most rotors will be wider and therefore SHOULD work, in theory of course.

3. I had a 160mm XTR, and wanted to do the same thing. I ended up just selling the XTR and buying 185 Avid Juicys as it was cheaper and guaranteed to work. But I was using the XT Lever/XTR Caliper setup not dual-control which made the switch easy for me.

I'd start scouring the forums for "XTR Adaptor" and see what comes back. I know I discussed it some on this forum, and got some recommendations about what adaptors I needed and where I could get them.