Thread: XT V-Brake Howl

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

New question here. XT V-Brake Howl

I've got xt v-brakes, almost new. Probably less than 50 miles on them. The rear is great. Quiet, ton's of stopping power. The front grabs good, but does a howling sound. I'm thinking that it might just be that I'm a little off and one side of the brake is hitting the rim before the other. Could that be it?

Also is there a way to get the old brake "dust" from the wheels? I've tried a couple of things and it kinda just stays there. I'm running sun rhyno lites.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dnale
    I've got xt v-brakes, almost new. Probably less than 50 miles on them. The rear is great. Quiet, ton's of stopping power. The front grabs good, but does a howling sound. I'm thinking that it might just be that I'm a little off and one side of the brake is hitting the rim before the other. Could that be it?

Also is there a way to get the old brake "dust" from the wheels? I've tried a couple of things and it kinda just stays there. I'm running sun rhyno lites.

Thanks.
    Make sure the pads have the proper toe in. You can try rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to get rid of the brake dust from the rims.

Duc

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

toe-in

Quote Originally Posted by duc135
    Make sure the pads have the proper toe in. You can try rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to get rid of the brake dust from the rims.

Duc
    I know what toe-in is for cars, but what does it do with bikes? We don't want the brake to be parrallel to the rim?

I didn't think of trying nail polish remover or alcohol. I've tried a couple brands of "citrus" cleaners. I didn't know if the rims had some kind of coating that I didn't want to mess with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XT-V's are renowned for their noise.

The only way I could get mine to be quiet was to sell them Tried everything; sanding toeing in, toeing out etc etc. Squeeeeeeeel. Whenever I hear somebody w/ really noisy V brakes I ask them "Shimano XTs?", the response is usually "How did you know?"

I've had avid (several types) shimano XTR/old style XT/LX and some no-name v-brakes and the only ones I had trouble with were the new XT Vs.

Good luck.

Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    The only way I could get mine to be quiet was to sell them Tried everything; sanding toeing in, toeing out etc etc. Squeeeeeeeel. Whenever I hear somebody w/ really noisy V brakes I ask them "Shimano XTs?", the response is usually "How did you know?"

I've had avid (several types) shimano XTR/old style XT/LX and some no-name v-brakes and the only ones I had trouble with were the new XT Vs.

Good luck.

Dave
    That's pretty wierd. The back are nice and quiet. Before I had them adjusted I could be heard throughout the entire rec area!

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    I know what toe-in is for cars, but what does it do with bikes? We don't want the brake to be parrallel to the rim?

I didn't think of trying nail polish remover or alcohol. I've tried a couple brands of "citrus" cleaners. I didn't know if the rims had some kind of coating that I didn't want to mess with.
    Don't use citrus cleaners or simple green. They tend to leave behind a film or residue. I'd imagine the citrus cleaners, if truely citrus, may have citrus oils in them. Not good for a brakeing surface!

Toe in the pads as suggested. Try nail polish remover, alcohol, or find grit sand paper(unless their ceramic coated) to clean the rims.

If that doesn't work try new pads or a different brand. Harder rubbers will tend to squeal more and different brands use different hardness'.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg
    Don't use citrus cleaners or simple green. They tend to leave behind a film or residue. I'd imagine the citrus cleaners, if truely citrus, may have citrus oils in them. Not good for a brakeing surface!

Toe in the pads as suggested. Try nail polish remover, alcohol, or find grit sand paper(unless their ceramic coated) to clean the rims.

If that doesn't work try new pads or a different brand. Harder rubbers will tend to squeal more and different brands use different hardness'.

I'll give the alcohol a shot tomorrow or friday and try to in the pads. They are the original shimano xt pads. I do have 2 new sets of pads I could try though...

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    I'll give the alcohol a shot tomorrow or friday and try to in the pads. They are the original shimano xt pads. I do have 2 new sets of pads I could try though...
    When I got my XTR V's they squealed like mad from the moment I put them on. Nothing I could do would fix it. Swapped out the stock shimano pads with another brand (can't remember which) and the problem instantly went away.

mtbr member

common problem for those brakes

Thanks.

I've experienced the same thing many-many times before, and always with the front brake. Just REVERSE the toe-in so the rear portion of the brake pad makes contact with the rim first and it will go away.

good luck, Chad
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://redbarnbicycles.com/

Eat your fruit
    Apr 2004

Couldn't stop the howl

on my new front XT Vs. Tried toe in, out, angling, cleaning, sanding, different pads, cursing and prayer. Put them on my wife's bike and she had the howl. Rear was always quiet. Two bike shops also tried and failed, and both commented on how XT Vs are notorious for howling.

Given that many XT V brake installations must be quite, my guess is a combination of fork and rims. My solution? Avid DS7s. Instant silence, great performance, and reduced weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll try the toe-in and if that doesn't work I'll swap them around and if that still doesn't work, then I'll swap the pads.

The xt's are so much better than my old brakes though. The were some dia-comps from '98.

Once I get the front not to howl i'll be back to front brakin' again!

Thanks everyone!