mtbr member

XT Resin pad issues

My bike came with Shimano XT M785 brakes with resin pads. After 4 rides the front still make a ton of noise until I get them really hot, then they are good for the rest of the ride. The problem is until they hot, they don't stop well. I read the tech doc and it says the resin pads take longer to seat in. I have had Shimano XT M785's on another bike with the metal pads, they burnished quickly and never had a problem. At this point about to try a set of metal pads in the front, but I was wondering if I was missing anything. I have taken the pads out, sanded both the rotors and pads, but I always get the same issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    After every sanding you have to seat them in again.

mtbr member
    I understand about them needing seating again. What is strange is that they seem seated after they get warmed up, then when I take the bike out for the next ride, it's like they are back to square one.

mtbr member
    Just a quick update, I switched out the resin pads with the metal pads. I seated them and have had no issues since. My LBS thinks that maybe I had a defective set of pads since the rear set seated, but the fronts didn't. It sounds logical to me, but whatever the cause, it's fixed now.

MTB B'dos
    Well, will have to say my experience most definitely is 180 degrees to yours, got mine with finned resin pads and quiet as can be and stopping power within the first ride, so much stopping power. Also just had to switch to a spare set of metallic pads after wearing down the front resin in about 8-9 months and have had no issues with them either, only took a few short DHs for them to seat to the rotors on this bike.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

Re: XT Resin pad issues

Check to make sure your pistons are not leaking. I had a leaking piston issue with my XT calipers that caused a similar problem. I noticed more noise , and horrible braking performance. Removing the pads revealed some oily residue on the piston interface. I decided to replace the brake set under warranty and all is well.