mtbr member
    May 2004

XT pad recomendation for big guy...

I bought an Intense 5.5 a while ago and it came with the Shimano XT organic pads in it. These were quiet with awesome feel. I am 220lbs. and the pads disappeared in about 2mos. of riding 3 to 4 times a week. I put in the metallic pad that came with the brakes and they are loud. They make an ugly scraping sound against the disk and have a tendancy to squeal. I did break them in properly. It looks like they wear the disk at an accelerated rate as well. Is there some kind of compromise between these two? I would love to have the feel of the organic pads but with the durability of the metallic pads. Am I asking too much?

thanks in advance,
    Craig
    the Gorge

just along for the ride
    I run the metallics on the rear only, they do make a hissing sound when stopping but otherwise are quiet in dry dusty cali. I like the organics on the front due to their modulation but they do wear more quickly. The metallics bearly wear at all. I'm 210 riding, good luck in your quest, I'm sure there are other pads out there maybe EBC?

LA CHÈVRE
    Haven't tried them but Kool Stop makes some too. My first set of organic pads wore out a lot faster than I expected, they almost desintegrate in muddy conditions (which is almost always where I ride) so I'm trying the metallic this week and I'll see how they go.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

just along for the ride
    Indeed the organic resin pads are so soft one can pick them apart with one's finger nail. I ride dusty conditions and they are still 50% at 500 miles but in mud indeed they might not last half as long. The semi metallic hold up way better and stop WAY better, I'm going to run out my 2 sets that came with the brakes then go aftermarket on the pads. Have fun!

mtbr member

Use a resin/metal combo!

Works for me, you get power and extended wear with metal, and the resin half keeps thing quiet.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRoadie
    Works for me, you get power and extended wear with metal, and the resin half keeps thing quiet.
    I think I will try that next. Does the uneven pad wear mess anything up? I really wish they made a compound in the middle of these two. I actually thought that the resin pads stopped better, but maybe that is just because they have such great modulation when they start to grab.

Craig
    the Gorge

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by spaeth
    I think I will try that next. Does the uneven pad wear mess anything up? I really wish they made a compound in the middle of these two. I actually thought that the resin pads stopped better, but maybe that is just because they have such great modulation when they start to grab.

Craig
    the Gorge

Semi metallic????? Some resin bonder with metal chips in. Koolstop make some decent ones (at least for Avids). Check EBC, Fibrax and Koolstop... all of them have a Semi-met pad. Semi-metallic are stock on hayez for example.

With one met and one organic you will get one pad wearing fast and one long lasting. So you'll end up with a lot of same-side pads unused in your garage.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Has anyone given the EBC red or yellow a try? I would like to see how they hold up for a 210lbs and up rider.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Galfer semi metallic pads

I bought an Intense 5.5 a while ago and it came with the Shimano XT organic pads in it. These were quiet with awesome feel. I am 220lbs. and the pads disappeared in about 2mos. of riding 3 to 4 times a week. I put in the metallic pad that came with the brakes and they are loud. They make an ugly scraping sound against the disk and have a tendancy to squeal. I did break them in properly. It looks like they wear the disk at an accelerated rate as well. Is there some kind of compromise between these two? I would love to have the feel of the organic pads but with the durability of the metallic pads. Am I asking too much?

thanks in advance,
    Craig
    the Gorge
    Organic pads almost always wear at a high rate. Full metal (sintered) pads last a long time but tend to be hard on rotors and don't work well in all conditions. For most people, semi metallic pads are the ideal choice but unfortunately, all semi metallic pads are not created equal. Just like the range of aluminum bike frame from target to intense, there are grades of semimetallic pads from very inexpensive (and poor performing) OEM pads up to very high quality aftermarket race level pads. This is even the case within a single companies product lineup. Try a set of our semi metallics. They are designed to be superior to the stock pads in power, feel and wear characteristics. $16.99 msrp per pair. Galfer USA

mtbr member

thanks in advance,
    Craig
    the Gorge
    I have had good results switching to Koolstop disc pads, and the EBC's. The shimano stuff wears out real quick.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Since your website seems to be under construction, where does one go to purchase a set of pads to try out?

thanks
    Craig
    the Gorge

galferusa
    Aug 2004

galfer pad purchasing

Since your website seems to be under construction, where does one go to purchase a set of pads to try out?

thanks
    Craig
    the Gorge
    Have your bike shop[ contact BTI or Wilson's. Or you can order them direct from www.cyclebrakes.com Tell them you need part # BFD247g1854
    Galfer USA

"El Whatever"
    Does Galfer have a sintered pad??? I like sintered pads.

Do you have any brochure or something regarding galfer's compounds and brands??

I'm positive your pads will be a success once you release them wide open. Glafer's offers look sweet.
    THX!!!
    Check my Site