mtbr member
    May 2008

XT M785's: required spoke lacing direction?

I'm trying to install some new XT M785's and 6 bolt rotors. The side of the front hub with the 6 bolts must be on the left to work with the brake mounts on the left leg of my Fox 36 Talas fork. But with the 6 bolts on the left, according to the Shimano installation instructions the lacing on my new front wheel is not going in the right direction. The Shimano lacing direction is explained here:

Peter Verdone

Did my wheel builder screw up my front wheel? I haven't gotten to the rear wheel yet.

Also, I purchased XTR M980 shifters ($199 @ Jenson) because they didn't have any 10 speed XT shifters in stock:

Shimano XTR M980 Shifter Set For 10 SPD at JensonUSA.com

...and the XTR instructions say they are only compatible with an XTR brake. What does that mean? I mounted both the shifters and the brakes on my bars. I played around with the positioning, and what I liked best was the brakes on the inside and the shifters on the outside. I clamped the shifter first, and then I slid the brake clamp right up against the shifter as close as I could get it, and then I rotated the brake body down until it touched the top of the shifter body. Now no one can see "XTR" on the shifters, but hey maybe my bike will be less likely to get ripped off. I do wish the brake lever was a touch longer, though.

Hmmm...I've been looking at pictures of built up bikes, and it looks to me like people have their brakes angled down at 45 degrees or more. Mine are near horizontal.
    Last edited by happyriding; 09-29-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    I'm trying to install some new XT M785's and 6 bolt rotors. The side of the front hub with the 6 bolts must be on the left to work with the brake mounts on the left leg of my Fox 36 Talas fork. But with the 6 bolts on the left, according to the Shimano installation instructions the lacing on my new front wheel is not going in the right direction. The Shimano lacing direction is explained here:

Peter Verdone

Did my wheel builder screw up my front wheel? I haven't gotten to the rear wheel yet.

Also, I purchased XTR M980 shifters ($199 @ Jenson) because they didn't have any 10 speed XT shifters in stock:

Shimano XTR M980 Shifter Set For 10 SPD at JensonUSA.com

...and the XTR instructions say they are only compatible with an XTR brake. What does that mean? I mounted both the shifters and the brakes on my bars. I played around with the positioning, and what I liked best was the brakes on the inside and the shifters on the outside. I clamped the shifter first, and then I slid the brake clamp right up against the shifter as close as I could get it, and then I rotated the brake body down until it touched the top of the shifter body. Now no one can see "XTR" on the shifters, but hey maybe my bike will be less likely to get ripped off. I do wish the brake lever was a touch longer, though.

Hmmm...I've been looking at pictures of built up bikes, and it looks to me like people have their brakes angled down at 45 degrees or more. Mine are near horizontal.
    Your wheel lacing is just fine. In practice it makes no difference in performance
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common