mtbr member
    Sep 2008

XT M785 Lever Feel Problem

The lever for my front brake has a "notch" it has to over come when I initially pull it, like the roller is getting caught in the servo wave cam. I know that this "notch" is part of the design, but it's much more pronounced on my front brake than on my rear and makes for tricky subtle braking. Is this an issue with the cam track, or do I have too much oil in the system or something? The free-stroke adjuster doesn't change it much either

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I had a similar feel on my M675 SLX rear brakes, as well as a slower return than the front brakes. Fortunately, I bought it at an LBS and, when they couldn't resolve the issue, they got Shimano to send me a new rear brake under warranty.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Put a drop of some wax lube (so it dries and does not get messy) in the roller. This happens to XTR's also. Problem solved... for a while I guess, thou has not happened to me since the first occurrence in like 3 month's.
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I know this is an old thread, but I seem to have found a solution to my problem and it might help others as well. I realized today that the free stroke adjustment screw passes through a little plastic part that I'm guessing is used to prevent the screw from loosening if it's not threaded in all the way. I simply removed the screw, removed the plastic part and I was able to thread the screw further into the lever, pushing the roller in the cam past the "notch". I don't know exactly how much this moves the pads in the caliper, but I haven't noticed any rubbing yet.

Relayden - I tried lubing the servo wave cam but it really didn't do much