mtbr member
    Sep 2008

xt m775 pressure loss help!

When going mostly down hill (figures) I lose pressure on my front brake and have to pump it two or three times. Does this mean that I have a leak or a loose gasket somewhere? I'm new to hydro brakes since I've always been a fan of the BB7 but I just made the jump.

Advise please.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDoger
    When going mostly down hill (figures) I lose pressure on my front brake and have to pump it two or three times. Does this mean that I have a leak or a loose gasket somewhere? I'm new to hydro brakes since I've always been a fan of the BB7 but I just made the jump.

Advise please.
    You probably just need to bleed them. Sounds like you could have an air bubble trapped in the caliper, it's a nice system to bleed if you'd like to try it yourself. If you don't have any visible oil on any of the fittings or coming out of the caliper, it is unlikely that you have a loose or leaking fitting. It could also be hydraulic hose has become damaged and could be causing a pressure loss. But that is rare in comparison to just needing to bleed your brakes.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If bleeding doesn't help, the seal in the lever assy is passing oil back into the reservoir, just like in an old car that the pedal sinks to the floor...

Rub it............
    I think you might be overheating your front brake. When they overheated, the brake fluid boils and gives you a soft brake lever - like you need to bleed them.

What size rotor are you running? What is your weight when fully kitted up?