mtbr member
    Mar 2009

XT M775 Pre-Bled Brakes

I just installed a set of Shimano XT brakes. The brakes cames pre-bled from the factory. The front hose did not need shortening, but the rear was much too long. I shortened the rear hose following instructions found here as well as Shimano's tech docs. I didn't bled the rear brakes after shortening the hose because the brake feels firm.

Since I previously had BB7 mechanical brakes, I don't know how much travel XT levers are suppose to have. I really like the reach adjustment, but if I bring the levers in too close, it will hit my fingers before the brakes are fully applied. Both levers move the same amount. Can anyone tell me how much their levers travel?

Thanks.

Save Jesus
    You need to bleed the brakes after cutting the hose because there is now air in the line. You might get lucky and have the air bubble rise up to the brake lever and then into the reservoir.

There are two knobs to adjust lever travel, so it depends a lot. Also, if you adjust the big knob such that the lever gets closer to the handle, you also end up using more of the "Servo Wave" feature, which will make the lever move even more. (More leverage)

The way I have my lever set up right now, it moves about 3/4" at the tip of the lever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the help. I bled the brake, but didn't see any air bubbles. The brake does feel firmer now. I adjusted the free play screw and reach knob(servo wave) to my liking and the tip of the levers move about 1".

I'm happy with the brakes. They were easy to setup, no rotor rubbing and quiet. They bed in very quickly as well. The biggest difference to my previous mechanical brakes is the feel and modulation.