mtbr member
    Jul 2007

XT M775 or Hayes HFX-9 Carbon?

....I have Avid BB7 mechs right now w/ adjustable Avid levers. This combo allows great modulation adjustments for me and I like them a on the "spongy" side. My girl has the Juicy 7s and I feel like they a bit "grabby". Anyhoo, upgrading to hydros, I'm looking at the above choices and wanted to hear ppls opinion.....muchas gracias...

Meh.
    XT... no question. Better build quality, better feel, etc. It's pretty much better in every sense. The XT lever will let you dial in the reach and engagement exactly the way you want it.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    XT... no question. Better build quality, better feel, etc. It's pretty much better in every sense. The XT lever will let you dial in the reach and engagement exactly the way you want it.
    ditto

wyrd biū ful „rśd
    I am using XTs and they feel really good ... i dont like it when the brakes grab when you touch the lever, much prefer a bit of lever movement as it helps you in applying the right amount of braking force as the levers are adjustable ... easy to bleed as well ...

mtbr member
    XT. Next

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    [SIZE=2]Same here! If you can, get organic pads, my sintered had very little power but I havenít tried any other sintered Shimanoís so I donít know.
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2] If you can, get organic pads, my sintered had very little power but I havenít tried any other sintered Shimanoís so I donít know.
    [/SIZE]
    the organics will break in faster, but won't have more power than correctly-broken-in metalics (I'm comparing shimano brand pads)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    the organics will break in faster, but won't have more power than correctly-broken-in metalics (I'm comparing shimano brand pads)
    [SIZE=2]You probably already know some of the problems I have had with the XT (non are the brakes fault), I was comparing my own brakes, perhaps not power but you get a much stronger bite when you apply the brakes with organics pads.
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    [SIZE=2]You probably already know some of the problems I have had with the XT (non are the brakes fault), I was comparing my own brakes, perhaps not power but you get a much stronger bite when you apply the brakes with organics pads.
    [/SIZE]

yeah.. I know your brakes went through bad wrenches unfortunately.... but maybe in the process pads have been contaminated and/or glazed, both conditions will reduce performance...

but anyhow.. if the organics are giving you the power you need, stick with them....just check them a bit more often if you are riding in the wet, as they wear faster...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    yeah.. I know your brakes went through bad wrenches unfortunately.... but maybe in the process pads have been contaminated and/or glazed, both conditions will reduce performance...

but anyhow.. if the organics are giving you the power you need, stick with them....just check them a bit more often if you are riding in the wet, as they wear faster...
    [SIZE=2]Iíll be using only organic from now on. Iíve taken them on about 5 rides now and they donít seem to be wearing too fast and have equal power to my StrokerĎs at the mo. My metallic pads did become contaminated but that was the dealers fault-spilt oil all over both brakes and didnít tell me. But that made them so bad the brakes had no effect apart from screaming like a Banshee. They were working pretty well when they had slightly less power.

I hope they keep working otherwise Iím going to end up with my 3rd new bike within a 1 Ĺ yrs. If I end up having to put more money in to the bike it will have to go.
    [/SIZE]