1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005

Are XT levers compatible with XTR calipers?

I am looking at getting a pair of the XT disc brake levers which are lighter than the XTR disc levers according to their website but would rather be using the XTR calipers that are IS which would mean that I do not have to use an adaptor for the front and rear.

So matching these two up seems to be the lightest option from Shimano for disc brakes. I already have the wheelset up with the spline lock hubs so should I be thinking of going with the XTR rotors as well.

Down the road I think I might pick up an XT disc wheelset which seems to be a good deal compared to other wheelsets. Is there a better option for a light weight wheelset for someone that is 190lbs.
    1 for the road and 1 for the dirt is more than enough.
    Light is Right

Meh.
    XT levers are compatible with XTR calipers. You just need the proper hose fittings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdc88
    I am looking at getting a pair of the XT disc brake levers which are lighter than the XTR disc levers according to their website.
    I think Shimano screwed up when listing that information on their website. If you look at on-line stores listing weights of XT and XTR brakes, you'll find Shimano's listed weight for XT brake levers seems to be only for the one side. The XTR weight seems to be for both FR RR.

My Ass is My Pilot
    Do yourself a favor and get XTR levers and 755 4piston calipers. Now thats one powerful braking yet light. I will be selling them as we get them.
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S

ballbuster

Are they?

Quote Originally Posted by ashpioletrev
    Do yourself a favor and get XTR levers and 755 4piston calipers. Now thats one powerful braking yet light. I will be selling them as we get them.
    I have an M755 4 pot and it's a boat anchor compared to the XTR. I mean, like possibly double the weight.

*edit*

Okay, I take it back. Out of curiosity, I weighed them. The XT 4 pot was 140g for the caliper and pads alone, and the XTR M965 is 90g without pads, so prolly 110g with pads.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-22-2008 at 10:42 PM.

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    I just need to decide on what I am going to use.

Avid Juicy Carbon
    XTR
    Hope Mini Pro
    Marta SL

Mechanical Avid BB7 paired with Extralite Ultralevers/Nokons/lightweight disc rotors.

All new to me so no idea what route to go and what is better.

Frame and Fork are both IS so I would like to go with no adapters if possible which I think XTR can do.
    1 for the road and 1 for the dirt is more than enough.
    Light is Right

My Ass is My Pilot
    Thanks for the update on the weight, that was driving me Nut'z. So it is light and powerful? You just have to get ridd of those boat anchor levers that don't work as well as the XTR's anyway...
    B.O.S/S Shampoo Now with More No More Gears! 34/18
    Ride With B.O.S/S