a cycologist

XT Hubs mean Shimano Discs only?

If I get XT Hubs on my wheelset, do I have to use Shimano disc brakes? I don't think so, but I have heard about Shimano monopolizing bike parts by not being compatible. I just want to make sure I can get the discs I really want.
    "Spread love. It's the Brooklyn way."

Biggie Smalls

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DBomb
    If I get XT Hubs on my wheelset, do I have to use Shimano disc brakes? I don't think so, but I have heard about Shimano monopolizing bike parts by not being compatible. I just want to make sure I can get the discs I really want.
    Any disc brake will work as long as the caliper isn't too thick (running into spokes)and i have a set here at the shop with hayes hydros and they work great.if they are the center lock hubs you have to use shimano center lock rotors but if they are the 6 bolt pattern i would say 95% of brakes will work.

galferusa
    Aug 2004

Galfer new Spline compatable rotors

Quote Originally Posted by DBomb
    The question is are the hubs you want to use 6 bolt mounting pattern or shimano spline mount? If they are 6 bolt hubs, you can use many different rotors including our patented wave rotors. If they are spline mount then you can use shimano replacements or as of Christmas time, our new spline compatable wave rotors will be available in 160mm, 185mm and 203mm sizes. We should have Saint compatable spline rotors in early spring.
    As far as I know, noone else is making spline compatable replacement rotors.
    Galfer USA